loading the 6.5x55 swede

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my question is with c.o.l. Most manuals have anywhere from 2.92 for modern rifles to 3.15 for military guns. i bet i could go past that and still have room in the mag. My question is-Is it necessary to seat the bullet to the lands? i've read that it is not but would like the experts on here opinions. FWIW, i went out to 3.1 with room left. i'll be shooting these in a 1917 and 1925 m96.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You ain't going to find lands with modern bullets in M96 - they were chambered to shoot 156gn RN.
Rule of thumb - have the neck support diameter-worth of bullet.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats what i've read andrei. is there any advantage to seating the bullet as shallow as possible though?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every gun likes something different..
If you build it short it will build more pressure,,
Try moving it .010"-.015" at a time and shoot for groups and see what the gun likes.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For my rifles i like to start .010" off the lands..and that means using a sharpie to color the bullet and seat it fully with the bolt and extract it. then look for any rifling marks..I set them up at zero marks then make the round .010" shorter.

So if no marks at 2.780 i well set it up at 2.770" to start with..
Then do a ladder test with my powders...find the sweet spot and then play with OAL of the round.
I have only had one bullet that liked being jammed into the lands..I do not use that bullet or load anymore..
Dangerous..and if you need to extract the non fired round, you may dump powder all inside the gun.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ain't going to find lands with modern bullets in M96 - they were chambered to shoot 156gn RN.
Rule of thumb - have the neck support diameter-worth of bullet.
sorry to keep buggin you guys. do you mean to just seat the bullet no deeper than the length of the neck?

Latest posts

Top Bottom