Long range scope reticles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm wanting to do some long range target shooting (600-900m). I plan on attending a long range class in the near future and ....

Question is: Do I need a mil dot reticule? they are quite a bit pricier than their multi-x or other style counterparts and I was planning on purchasing a laser range finder for ranging anyways? Or maybe I should drop the range finder idea and buy more glass?

The budget is fairly low so I'm thinking about a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 3x9x40. if I go mil dot instead of multi-x, then it bumps the price a couple of hundred and pushes me into the 3200 which has less light than its big brother.

What do you guys think?

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the budget is that tight, I'd look at the fixed 10x40mm 3200 model. It's kind of a standard for the lower end long range scope. It has a mil-dot reticle and adjustable 1/4 MOA target turrets. You might find one for sale used by someone upgrading to a better optic.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-10x40-Elite-3200-Rifle-Scope-P242.aspx

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was hoping to let this rifle pull double duty as a deer rifle also, but I may be fooling myself thinking I can have both my cake and eat it too. I'm concerned that with some of the areas I hunt, I'll be too magnified at close range with a fixed power when I'm hunting? <200 yards

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5-15x Bushnell 3200 Elite Tatical with Mil Dot on my Grendel and love it. I found it on sale for $289 plus free shipping on Amazon. Not sure what your price range is but you won't be disappointed with this scope.

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read a lot of positive posts on that 3200, the only complaint I've read is that since its not "fully" coated it only lets in 90% light vs 95% with the 4200. so supposedly its not as bright.

Have you had the opportunity to shoot it at lower light? (dawn/dusk time frame.)

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option: Mueller 3-10x44 Tac2
It's a little more expensive but take a look at the reviews. It'd serve well for close and long shots. It's available for a bit less than MSRP with some searching. It's a cut above anything else Mueller makes and their standard scopes are a good choice.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MTAC31044.html
http://www.muelleroptics.com/downloads/docs/reviews/TacII.pdf (of course it is listed on the factory webpage, but still a good review)
http://www.muelleroptics.com/img/products/MTAC31044/View.jpg

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked into the Super Sniper or Wotac line of scopes. Both are excellent scopes plus the Wotac has a lifetime warranty as does the SS I believe. The Wotac is made in Oklahoma and has an excellent customer care rep. Both are good scopes that have excellent resale value if you wanted to upgrade later on.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you had the opportunity to shoot it at lower light? (dawn/dusk time frame.)

Unfortunately not...I've only had it out during normal daylight hours. If you ever want to meet at the range to check it out, just let me know...always looking for a reason to go shoot!

Risky_Rooster

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm researching the Wotac, SS, and Mueller brands. All of them seem to have a loyal fan base and I see that SS is now producing a variable power scope as well.

This second I'm leaning toward the bushnell but it'll be a paycheck or two before I throwdown the cash.

I might have to take you up on that Gmar, when the weather gets friendlier :freezing:

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Top Bottom