Looking for caliper recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get a new set of calipers and I'm wondering what you all use. I'm looking to get something decent that's not going to break the bank. Would like to stay under $30.

1706117530363.jpeg

1706117563009.png

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a dial RCBS caliper which is in your range and a digital Mitutoyo that, well….not so much. 😉
Not so fast... calipers can be had at estate sales. I recently got a nice Mitutoyo .001 Dial Caliper for $20 at one.

On a routine basis though, I'd say up the budget just slightly and consider Gearwrench. They've been a solid set for me as well: Amazon.com

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer analog calipers over digital calipers, because the batteries die too quickly in the latter. After years of woodworking and using a metal lathe, I’ve pitched all my digital calipers.

I was thinking about that. And in my case they likely wouldn't get frequent use.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After some research I bought this one about three years ago. Batteries have not yet been changed but I don't use it all that often. Not under $30, but that's a tough goal to meet and still be decent IMO

Not sure my eyes would like the dial calipers or the vernier.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer analog calipers over digital calipers, because the batteries die too quickly in the latter. After years of woodworking and using a metal lathe, I’ve pitched all my digital calipers.
My Mitutoyo digital calipers I bought in March of 2023 have never been turned off, I just leave them on the counter. Still waiting for the first battery to die after 10 months of being turned on. My dad doesn't see so well anymore, so we had to find an alternative to his Starrett dial caliper.

They don't see constant use like a machinist, but between me and my dad reloading they see more than average reloading use.

I can afford to buy a new battery every year, I just keep a spare in the shop and when this one quits, I will just replace the extra.

That said, the cost of Mitutoyo is well over what you want to spend. I can't say how long the battery will last in a less expensive caliper. Beware of cheap Mitutoyos, as there are a bunch of fakes floating around.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you'll be up in Tulsa soon, I tell you what --- let me know in advance and I'll donate a pair over to you. I have no memory of what generic brand they are, but they work well enough. I'm up to like 4-5 calipers and really need, like, 1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom