Looking for caliper recommendations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad gave me his 1st set, about as old as I am. And , yes I can read them, just need glasses! lol

Attachments

• Caliper.jpg
    Caliper.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 0

zackmac26

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I like analog dial calipers over the digital type. I have a couple digital pairs and invariably every time I need them the battery is dead.

I know you want to stay under $30, but if you expand your budget a little bit, you can find Starrett dial calipers for a good deal on the evilBay, the FaceFriend Marketplace, or even the good old Craigs place pretty regularly.

The Starrett 120-6 can be had for around $120 in New or Like New condition, or around $50-$60 used.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My RCBS dial caliper has served me well.
As have my Starrett digital.
Browne and Sharp is top notch.
Mititoyo are at the top.

Dial or digital is a matter of personal preference. The older my eyes get, the more I reach for the digital.

Estate sales, garage sales and PAWN SHOPS are great sources for savings.

A quality caliper will last a lifetime, get the best you can.
I have done well at estate sales and garage sales over the years.
Even found a few things in antique shops for a reasonable price.

I can't say that I have every had any luck of precision instruments in a pawn shop.

I have seen inexpensive Chinese tools side by side with top end professional tools and the same prices on both of them pawn shops. Often the Chinese tools had prices that exceeded the new price for an identical tool.

The other thing I have seen in pawn shops is well worn instruments with recently expired inspection decals. Thats a big red flag - good chance they were used professionally and worn to the point they could not pass calibration or be repaired economically, and someone grabbed them from the trash to make a quick buck.

Before buying anything used, know what it sells for new and what ware does to it.

CNC equipment is leveling the playing field on quality and craftsmanship.
Sure, there is a bragging factor to have a full box to top end tools, and the good stuff is nicer to work with. If I am using a tool every day, the ergonomics and durability of a high-end tool are worth it. But, with a few exceptions, the lower end stuff on the market today is more than adequate for hobby work.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a calibration/repair manager for several years. I carried a marked 1.0000" standard bar in my pocket. I had polished the end to where the bar measured 0.9992". Together, with a few trips for testing (bad) multmeters; I bought loads of "wore out" calipers and meters from the known 'rip off' shops.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understand the limits of your tool and what effect precision has on the system your working with.
Just squeeze your calipers a little harder or relax some pressure and those pesky cases will measure perfect every time! 😁

Those Starretts, and specifically the USA made ones might not be a price you want to pay. But life is too short to have junk tools.

A decent used American made Starrett set is better than a new Shitsatoyo or any chinesium garbage!

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After some research I bought this one about three years ago. Batteries have not yet been changed but I don't use it all that often. Not under $30, but that's a tough goal to meet and still be decent IMO

Not sure my eyes would like the dial calipers or the vernier.

Got these but in the 6" version. Been happy with them and occasionally take them to work and compare measurements with our calibrated Mitutoyos and they are usually dead nuts. So for what I do, they work great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom