Looking to purchase a gun safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will always run out of room. lol
Great advice^^^^^^. When they say its a 20 gun cabinet you will be lucky to get 10 guns in it. They carefully select guns that will fit perfectly to validate their claims. In reality with scoped guns, bolt guns (bolt handle gets into the other gun slot) you will not be able to fill all of the slots available.
It seems that a lot of safe manufacturer's now days build them with consideration for shelving vs gun storage.
We are using our first safe for document storage now because we ran out of room for guns.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing you can do to ensure all your firearms fit into the safe...

...keep only what you shoot within a year's time. If it sits idle more than a year, sell it!

That's how I can see the back wall of my safe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing you can do to ensure all your firearms fit into the safe...

...keep only what you shoot within a year's time. If it sits idle more than a year, sell it!

That's how I can see the back wall of my safe.
LOL, no way in hell. I've got guns I've bought from the 60's in my safe. Collector, not a seller.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on the ArmorVault. That's where I got mine when I lived down there. Watched some videos and learned a few things to look for. Don't buy one based on a sale. It's surprising how fast a thief can get into a cheap one. BTW, they delivered it and bolted it down.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not as simple as just choose a brand. You need to decide on your lock type and budget first. If you want a combo lock, you are wasting your time going to Bear or ArmorVault. If you are looking for something in the sub-$1000 range, you probably just need to go to a box store and buy one of those big tin can type Winchester or Cannon safes designed to keep your toddler out.

If you are looking for a key lock safe, Bear or ArmorVault are good places to go look (I personally would prefer ArmorVault). If you'd like to look at some combo lock safes, H&H has a pretty good selection. I'd look at something like a Liberty Fatboy Jr. as a minimum.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt... Bear have a great rep, but anything super great is also gonna cost. :(

I will tell ya, I picked up my 2nd Fortress safe yesterday, and I am very pleased with them. I realize it's not the best thing out there, but it is better than a lot of the "big box store" safes, IMO, and is still reasonably-priced.

Heavy MFers, too... :nono2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom