Lost Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am compiling some data on the ones I have been called to track. One thing common in every single one is they "know it was a good shot". Signs often point the opposite.
People have a different opinion than myself of what is "good blood", "good shot" etc.
Bright red frothy blood is what you are looking for.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve tracked many a deer over the years both in Oklahoma and North Carolina and I find one thing in common for a great many of the deer we are looking for...gut shot. I’m inclined to believe that people are not accurately zeroing in their rifles. I think they get close enough on the paper bc getting dialed in to bulkseye is too meticulous for the average rifle owner. And that happens in ideal conditions-indoor range, a shooting bench, no wind, no buck fever, etc.

Not only are most people not great marksman, they’re even worse at estimating distance. Consequently opening day finds them looking through a scope on a rifle that was somewhat close to dialed in at the range, so they do one of two things, they aim center mass bc they know they’re more likely to hit something than aiming for the vitals they fear they’ll miss, OR they aim for the vitals but bc their rifle was off they hit somewhere other than where they should’ve.

To compound these bad shots, people are too impatient and they underestimate how tough are and how strong the desire to live can be. They come out of their stand way too soon and push a deer over and over again from what would’ve been his final resting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve tracked many a deer over the years both in Oklahoma and North Carolina and I find one thing in common for a great many of the deer we are looking for...gut shot. I’m inclined to believe that people are not accurately zeroing in their rifles. I think they get close enough on the paper bc getting dialed in to bulkseye is too meticulous for the average rifle owner. And that happens in ideal conditions-indoor range, a shooting bench, no wind, no buck fever, etc.

Not only are most people not great marksman, they’re even worse at estimating distance. Consequently opening day finds them looking through a scope on a rifle that was somewhat close to dialed in at the range, so they do one of two things, they aim center mass bc they know they’re more likely to hit something than aiming for the vitals they fear they’ll miss, OR they aim for the vitals but bc their rifle was off they hit somewhere other than where they should’ve.

To compound these bad shots, people are too impatient and they underestimate how tough are and how strong the desire to live can be. They come out of their stand way too soon and push a deer over and over again from what would’ve been his final resting place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of truth in this post. ^^^^^

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would that be the 1 box of ammo lasts me 5 years people?

Seriously, I can go shoot 20 and still not be happy with the set up and go home to rework something and I am okay with it. I try to rework rifles in February, then they sit until September to be sighted again before I get a chance to shoot again.

Now, the 22s are messed with, sighted, and then get out to play on a regular basis. But, shoot games are my favorite skill keeper for firearms.

Need to get out on the archery front more often.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I like a neck shot. They dont go anywhere.
That's been true in my own experience, but some people can weave a bullet through the neck and not hit anything vital. If you can hit them in the neck you can hit them above the brisket or behind the shoulder. In some cases you can even shoot them in the ass, like Fred Bear recommended.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's been true in my own experience, but some people can weave a bullet through the neck and not hit anything vital. If you can hit them in the neck you can hit them above the brisket or behind the shoulder. In some cases you can even shoot them in the ass, like Fred Bear recommended.
the shockwave from a .260 caliber at 3000 fps should always sever the spine or a clean miss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom