Mag na porting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0352Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the mag na porting process? And if so what did you like/dislike about it? I have a Remington 7mm mag that I'm thinking about having this done to it to reduce recoil but I don't know if it's worth it and if will devalue my rifle. I've heard that a muzzle brake can affect accuracy and don't want that. On there website magnaport.com they say that there is no accuracy or velocity affect from this process. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Magna Ports should not degrade accuracy at all and, if it makes recoil more tolerable, may actually improve it.

As far as whether or not Magna Porting will decrease value I would say that would depend on who you were selling to. I, personally, would not buy a gun with Magna Porting since I don't like they way they look. Also, when buying a used gun, I prefer it only have factory barrel options and not something people have added on with a few exceptions.

There are, by the way, ways to reduce felt recoil without muzzle brakes. They would include mecury recoil reducers in the buttstock and better recoil pads.

specter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
magna porting is not an add-on muzzel brake. they edm cut slots in the barrel to reduce recoil. at first glance you cant even tell its not a factory barrel. that being said, i had a rem 700 police magnaported. it worked great. i was tired of my elbows getting the skin rubbed off at the shooting bench. it made my .308 feel like my .243!! fantastic!! the only drawback, as i found out later, was that i could not shoot in certain tournaments, because the barrel had been altered. but anyway it works great, the quality is none better, it even makes your barrel a little bit lighter, but you wont feel that. on pistols it works even better. oh, and it does not devalue your gun. nor does it affect accuracy, in fact you will probably shoot better because youre not flinching. it may even make your gun more valuable to the right person.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the mag na porting process? And if so what did you like/dislike about it? I have a Remington 7mm mag that I'm thinking about having this done to it to reduce recoil but I don't know if it's worth it and if will devalue my rifle. I've heard that a muzzle brake can affect accuracy and don't want that. On there website magnaport.com they say that there is no accuracy or velocity affect from this process. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Remington 7mm Mag? or 7mm Remington Mag?

I have a 7mmRM RMEF 700, and man, I have had the same thoughts as you.

However, mine only sees bench time to sight it in. All other shooting is at Elk or Deer, so I decided to not have it ported.

specter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
rem 700 police in .308 after magna porting was done, there was no recoil, just a "push", nice!!! 700 police is special heavy barrel aluminum bedding,very accurate!

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any kind of porting is going to reduce recoil energy. But for a price. Shooters around you will suffer. And you will too if you don't use hearing protection, even when hunting. I have a friend with a Browning in 300 win mag with a Boss. Sucker is sweet to shoot, but stand anywhere near it when it goes off and your teeth will rattle. Not to mention the flash is a night vision killer. Something to think about in early morning/late evening hunts.

A good recoil pad such as Sims Laboratory, and a mercury filled recoil reducer installed in the stock will do the same thing and still be audibly friendly.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at a gun show one and a guy I knew was selling an old style Ruger 44 Magnum autoloading rifle. It was the one that looked more like a 10/22 than the ones today with the M14 style action. It was in great shape and he was asking a fair market value on it. It had the Magna porting done. An old-timer with another booth came over and looked it over with his buddy and said half under his breath "I sure wish someone hadn't screwed up this nice barrel." The seller just smiled. The old-timer pulled out his Benjamins and paid the asked price.

The point there is that on a "collectible" gun, people would probably rather not have the Magna porting, but even if it does, they'll probably still buy it.

Jpt

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a 30-378 Weatherby w/a Magna Port brake, even with a round that big, you can still see your target through the scope after you pull the trigger. I was amazed at how much it reduced the recoil, but man, that @#$ was loud! When watching my brother shoot it, the muzzle blast blew my hat off from over 10 ft. Don't throw it across a truck hood to shoot unless you want to mess up the paint job.(yes, that's from experience, dad's truck, not mine).

Latest posts

Top Bottom