Man Found Not Guilty Of Shooting After "Standing His Ground"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could have called the police and went inside and ignored the problem altogether. Hopefully the speeding drunks would'nt hit somebody or your child. Bad things happen when good people do nothing.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could have called the police and went inside and ignored the problem altogether. Hopefully the speeding drunks would'nt hit somebody or your child. Bad things happen when good people do nothing.

Exactly. If drunks are speeding down the road repeatedly that my children play near, then there isn't any way you'll convince me that most any action I take is an escalation of violence. The homeowner should never be in fear of prosecution for yelling "slow down" at some idiot with the potential to kill with the negligence of their actions. The escalation happened as the trespassers-turned-attackers pulled in and began their assaults.

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the facts for certain, but a couple points stand out that affect my belief as to what happened:

1) Several cars of people

2) In someone else's driveway

Having had to go to this type of call more times than I can count, my belief is that when groups of people feel they can infringe upon another individual on their own property, they are likely at fault.

I am probably one of the most likely members of this board to attempt to bring perspective to a police officer's actions in this type of situation, but I'm not sure what could have prompted the arrest in this situation.

I've found that many folks here and elsewhere don't understand why the plice do what they do based on snippets like news stories, but now I find myself in the same position.

I'd be very suprised if an experienced police officer could look at a similar situation and conclude that this was a crime, UNLESS there are some issues that have not come to light which is certainly possible.

The only aspect I can think of that can jack up the victim's situation here is mis-management of the police response. As you can see, it can be handled fairly easily IF you are informed and understand your rights AND your limitations.

Thus, again I suggest these guidelines:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12516

Michael Brown

Witnesses stated the shooter stood over the victim, who was already shot and attempting to crawl away when another shot was fired.

I believe these statements are what prompted the arrest

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isnt a straw purchase when someone buys a gun for someone who can not legally own a weapon?

My dad has bought several guns for me over the years, as long as the person can legally own the weapon then it is not considered a straw purchase. While in the described situation the kid can not buy the gun or ammo himself, his mother can buy the gun and give to him as a gift.

That is the exact senario of how I got one of my first handguns and a rifle from my dad for my birthday and Christmas over the years.

I would think anyone over the age of 18 can transport a gun as long as they follow the transportation guidelines in the OK law. Now if the range will let them shoot a handgun is a whole nother thing as some will want them to buy the ammo there which they (under 18) cant legally do.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose there are many facts which make the decision more difficult than simple self-defense, but if they were within reach of him (which they were) and were threatening him, I was of the impression that he had every right to fire on them.

I'm no legal expert, but this seems pretty basic to me. Credible threats of force constitute a legal trigger...he could have shot them all at any time if they're on his property threatening his family, and any decent court should have let him go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom