Mannlicher-Schoenauer scope base

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can anything be done to remedy the damage to this? Replacements are hard to find and farkin' expensive. I'd like to reblue it if possible, if it has to be Duracoated or something similar then I'll have to weigh the cost/benefit vs. replacement.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
can anything be done to remedy the damage to this? Replacements are hard to find and farkin' expensive. Cell phone pics are a little grainy, but it is thoroughly rusted. I'd like to reblue it if possible, if it has to be Duracoated or something similar then I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a replacement.

Are we talking standard tip off mount, or side flipoff mount? Pic's would be nice.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
changed the pictures, maybe you can see better now. I have 2 of these rifles, one new one needs restored. If it can be blued and look good, I'll put it on the new one for my dad. If it has to be something else then I'll try and match it to the MS action that needs restored, don't know if it can be blued back or not yet.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those nice blue jobs come from proper metal prep. You can't blue pits away, they have to filed away, you know, with a mill bastard file, then polished either buy hand with wet & dry paper or a buffer. Hand work, even if it's 'just' filing away pits doesn't come cheap. You MIGHT have that mount bead blasted and blued and have it look OK, but a high gloss blue, you wouldn't want to pay for that. (I slow rust blue and charge $55/hr. for draw filing to remove pits-doesn't include polishing)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check with a longtime dealer like dongs or oas.
That looks to be a leopold mount and an oldtime dealer might have one on the shelf cheaper than refinishing that one.
If you go to Wannamachers show next month, theres guys with boxes of hard to find (new old stock) mounts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom