Mass shooting at Oregon community college - 10-15 dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I retired from my second career in Higher Ed here in Oklahoma almost 2 years ago. I worked at four different colleges. It was very frustrating to work in an environment where "intelligent" people at the top refuse to face reality and think by hiding their heads in the sand, everything will be alright. There was/is a total lack of trust in faculty, employees , and students and it was compounded by weak leadership at the top; on a state level. Quivering, weak, politically motivated "leadership" is why crazy people target gun free zones like our college campuses. There will be a lot of hand wringing and a cry for more gun control, but not a thing will be done to make our campuses safer until the political decision is made to let individuals have the right to protect themselves, on at least the publicly supported campuses. It's one thing to ignore a gun buster sign on the local stop-n-rob, but carrying on a college campus is against the law. I hated having to be unarmed and unable to do anything in case we had something like an active shooter on campus. I totally support and believe in higher education, but I am so glad to be retired and done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Man, the bad thing about reading that article is that some of that could easily be associated with me. If you asked my neighbors about me they would probably say kind of the same things. I don't really talk to people that often, I work from home so I don't leave my house all that much, I enjoy guns and hunting and talking about both (which is why I'm on here) and from right here at my desk, I can get to about 16 guns without having to move more than 10 feet. Luckily, I don't have any mental issues (that I know of :-) ), so I've got that going for me.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The article strongly suggests that the shooter had Asperger’s syndrome. I believe that is the same as Adam Lanza, the Connecticut mass murderer.

“It would be unfair to say every child with Asperger’s will become a mass murderer,” said Nancy Alspaugh-Jackson, director of ACT Today, a major autism treatment program in Los Angeles.

“But combining Asperger’s with his troubled family situation, a sense of isolation - no job, no school - and no care and treatment, is a recipe for a disaster.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/people-asperger-rarely-harm-don-quick-link-adam-lanza-actions-syndrome-expert-article-1.1221443

Two cases in which a mother's love and protection did not solve the problem. Two cases in which the young man should not have been around firearms.

If you know someone in this situation, I'd suggest that they should be watched closely at a minimum and that consulting a psychologist is wise.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article strongly suggests that the shooter had Asperger’s syndrome. I believe that is the same as Adam Lanza, the Connecticut mass murderer.
Two cases in which a mother's love and protection did not solve the problem. Two cases in which the young man should not have been around firearms.
Exactly. Why the mothers of two very troubled young men thought it was a good idea for their offspring to be around guns is beyond me. Obama's "common sense" proposals should start with a very stern warning to the country's mental health professionals about this issue. Troubled young men like Mercer and Lanza need to be kept away from firearms. Encouraging them in their use should be criminal.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem seems to be...they aren't "suggested" to have problems ...until After they do something wrong
Kinda like hindsite is 20/30...;/
Not really. Lanza's mother knew her son had severe emotional problems. In fact, she thought introducing him to firearms and their use might help him cope with his troubles. Mercer graduated from a private H.S. school in California that specializes in the education of severely troubled kids, including those with various mental illnesses and behavioral problems. His mother certainly knew he was very troubled as well. Lanza's mother might have been prosecuted had he not killed her. Mercer's mother may still yet be.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem seems to be...they aren't "suggested" to have problems ...until After they do something wrong
Kinda like hindsite is 20/30...;/

In both cases they were young adult males, known to have Asperger's Syndrome and were living at home with mom (unable to function/live on their own). Couple that with firearms and you have a clear profile of someone with a high potential to become a killer. (Based on these two cases). Such people need psychological evaluation and treatment, if what I am reading is correct.

Given the fact that Mercer lived for a time with his mother during his adult years, was noticed to be peculiar by neighbors and had acquaintances online, I would venture that more than one person knew he was not well.

If the president had a son like Chris Mercer, believe me, he would not be content to have his ill son live in a country where he could not procure firearms quite as easily. He would want his son’s disorder definitively diagnosed and definitively treated.

I do not know whether he ever got anything like comprehensive help, but it is hard to believe he could have, given what happened Thursday.

Violence of the kind perpetrated by Chris Mercer is always preventable through a combination of psychotherapy, proper medications and hospitalizations when needed.

Period. There is no exception.

But people like Chris Mercer keep falling through the cracks of our shattered, sorry excuse for a mental health care system. This is tragic and unnecessary, because outreach and screening systems could be put in place that would be neither prohibitively expensive, nor an impingement on anyone’s liberty.

One of the hurdles in the way of building a system to prevent killings like those that occurred in Oregon is that politicians like President Obama turn such tragedies into reprehensible calls for gun control, rather than proper calls to rebuild the mental health care system.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/10/02/what-obama-doesnt-understand-about-oregon-shooter-chris-mercer.html

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Given the fact that Mercer lived for a time with his mother during his adult years, was noticed to be peculiar by neighbors and had acquaintances online, I would venture that more than one person knew he was not well.

If the president had a son like Chris Mercer, believe me, he would not be content to have his ill son live in a country where he could not procure firearms quite as easily. He would want his son’s disorder definitively diagnosed and definitively treated. I do not know whether he ever got anything like comprehensive help, but it is hard to believe he could have, given what happened Thursday.

Violence of the kind perpetrated by Chris Mercer is always preventable through a combination of psychotherapy, proper medications and hospitalizations when needed.

Period. There is no exception.

But people like Chris Mercer keep falling through the cracks of our shattered, sorry excuse for a mental health care system. This is tragic and unnecessary, because outreach and screening systems could be put in place that would be neither prohibitively expensive, nor an impingement on anyone’s liberty.
One of the hurdles in the way of building a system to prevent killings like those that occurred in Oregon is that politicians like President Obama turn such tragedies into reprehensible calls for gun control, rather than proper calls to rebuild the mental health care system."

Surely you don't believe this...hogwash...
Its about Control...not students getting killed......It happened in a "Gun Free Zone"

Latest posts

Top Bottom