Mass shooting at Oregon community college - 10-15 dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really?
OK then , let me be clear
Gun free zones are the problem here ...
Mental health is definitely an issue, but needs to be separated from the gun dilemma, or rights will certainly be attacked
No More Laws, there's enough on the books now to cover these things, knee jerk reactions wont help
The willingness to throw others under the bus, parents being prosecuted for things theyre children do, makes way for a whole bunch of rights being abused
I don't know how that's hard to understand

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really?
Gun free zones which you will never eliminate are a problem here ...
Mental health is the primary issue with active shooters like the Umpqua shooter issue, and MUST be separated from the gun dilemma, or rights will certainly be attacked
No More Laws, there's enough on the books now to cover these things, knee jerk reactions wont help
The willingness to throw others under the bus, parents being prosecuted for things theyre children do, makes way for a whole bunch of rights being abused

First, it's 'their" not theyre. Second, I NEVER called for parental prosecution. To quote myself verbatim
I doubt it, but it sure would be nice if the MSM called for it. The more exposure she gets, the more likely someone else in her shoes will make wiser decisions. She failed her son and all those victims in Oregon, the least she could do is serve as a terrible example.

So I could care less if you want to give enablers a free pass to let their spawn run amok through society, I don't. Show me in the Constitution where it says the rest of America has to support your lack of care and concern over things you have direct control over? Parents have a choice. They can bury their heads in the sand and pretend little Johnny doesn't have a problem, or they can do something about it. They can buy little Johnny a closet full of guns, or they can NOT buy him a closet full of guns!

You're not going to win this one. Want more proof? http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...agged-weapons-online-report-article-1.2383689

The mother of the rage-filled loner who shot and killed nine people at an Oregon community college blasted opponents of open-carry laws and bragged about her personal arsenal of weapons online, according to reports.

Laurel Harper, a nurse who shared an apartment near the Umpqua Community College campus with her troubled 26-year-old son Chris Harper Mercer, boasted on Facebook that she owned a stockpile of handguns and assault rifles, according to vocativ.com.

“And when the mood strikes, and as long as we’re tossing around brand names, I sling an AR, Tek-9 or AK over my shoulder, or holster a Glock 21 (not 22), or one of my other handguns, like the Sig Sauer P226, and walk out the door,” Harper bragged. “I find the shotguns are a little too cumbersome to open carry.”

Laurel Harper is a Nurse. Her son had a LONG history of trouble. She literally has no excuse whatsoever. I'm saying we should provide people like her with the notoriety they deserve! She is a horrible example as a parent. She failed her son and she failed all the Umpqua victims. Sure it's harsh, but it's far more necessary than allowing myself to be put on the defensive for being a safe, conscientious, law abiding gun owner who's done nothing wrong and whose guns have never been used to murder people!

If you don't like that, then don't be a Laurel Harper or Nancy Lanza! Don't bury your head in the sand and pretend nothing could've been about the problem, because that would be a lie. :(

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really?
Gun free zones are the problem here ...
Mental health is definitely an issue, but needs to be separated from the gun dilemma, or rights will certainly be attacked

Very reasonable post.

Mental health is part of the issue, but it's not the answer no matter how much we want it to be. Push to hard there and we all will be one wrong answer to our family practice doctor away from losing our rights.

The core issue is the the decline of society...and we aren't fixing that short of a Saddam Hussein style dictatorship (and even that wouldn't fix it, it would just smother it under a layer of intense governmental violence).

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a unique perspective of mental illness and parental enabling, my mother and one of my brothers. It was very frustrating to watch and I seriously doubt that the threat of punishment would have stopped my mother's enabling. I'm leaning more toward involuntary housing of mentally ill citizens who doctors identify as a threat to themselves or others.

I honestly do not believe the hype that these shooters choose the location of their crimes based on the locations be gun free zones. Many times the crazy fuqs are punishing the people they feel have wronged them or in Adam Lanza's case killing the kids that were stealing his mother's affections.

This latest killer was a 26 y/o virgin who was mad at the world because he was alone.

The kids at Columbine were tired of being outcast.

The Aurora and Gabby Gifford shooters are just nucking futs, which really seems to be....not unusual with kids raised by my classmates.

Anyway, not everyone can be or should be armed, but as gun owners and mostly conservatives we need to offer real solutions to get people such as my brother (he's dead now) and those like the one TRDOC described off of the streets. Its going to cost money, so we will have to concede to funding secure nut houses.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is certainly nothing to celebrate at the death of anyone. But since you bring up the subject, if the perp had entered to school with a shank he'd not gotten nearly as far was he did.

I'll attempt to restate the intent of my original post. If a school (or other) wants to have a gun free zone then there should be a law requirng them to make sure it remains gun free and offer adequate protection to those who enter. If the school (or other) doesn't want to take on that responsibility then the gun free zone ceases to exist and the existing state laws concerning CC would be in effect.

If you disagree with my idea then that's fine.

Your idea soundly expresses an utopian ideal.
Personally I feel that places that insist on being "gun-free" should be held liable for any harm that comes to people prevented from defending themselves.

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I feel that places that insist on being "gun-free" should be held liable for any harm that comes to people prevented from defending themselves.

Utopian? I think that's an overestimation but maybe your right. The point of my idea is to reverse the focus from the legal law abiding gun owner and put that focus on the liberal gun control freaks. If they want no guns then it's all up to them, not us, to make that happen at the "gun free zone".

For what it's worth, I like your idea. Not only should it be THEIR responsibility, if they fail they will be held criminally and financially liable. If I understand what you said?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I agree. Places that desire to be gun free should be financially responsible for any and all deaths or medical care for those shot/knifed etc in their area of responsibility.

Latest posts

Top Bottom