May be relocating to Tahlequah area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably one of the best parts of the state if you had to pick a place to retire.

A good bit of public land and the deer hunting is excellent. I've hunted Cherokee county all my life, and it is usually second only to Osage in deer harvest numbers, and Osage is much, much larger. No the best area for large bucks, but for sheer numbers of deer and nice scenery you can't beat it.

Many of your Wildlife Management Areas will have public ranges; I think Cherokee WMA does. You'll also be a short drive from Arkansas and SW Missouri which is fishing and camping mecca.

The bad and the ugly? Just the usual stuff with rural places. Poverty, some rough-looking areas, shady people and the like. Cost of living in Oklahoma is dirt cheap as a plus. You'll be a little ways from city food/entertainment/shopping, if that matters to you, but Tulsa is not far.

Link to Wildlife Department site with all the hunting/public land info you need

070.JPG

058.JPG

222.JPG

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything RidgeHunter said. Lots of public hunting land, lakes and rivers for fishing, but only a couple of shooting ranges nearby. Can't really think of anything bad since you are retired.
If you move here, welcome to Gods country!

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely what everyone else said. I lived just south of Tahlequah for a couple of years. I loved the area, as far as scenery, fishing and hunting went. You will see people at every end of the spectrum. I swear that half of the "People of Walmart" pictures are taken in the Tahlequah Walmart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom