May I ask what medical insurance you have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm currently using Blue Cross/Blue Shield of OK but they informed me they're cancelling my policy at the end of this month. It's just me on the policy and I've got the deductible set at a point that it's mostly/basically just catastrophic coverage. Office visit copay is $35, etc.

Is BC/BS about the norm around here? Are they all going to be roughly the same? BTW, BC/BS has the max deductible set at $6,000, yet the premiums are still pretty high.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a high deductible plan with an HSA run through United, but it's my employer's group plan. I don't think they're writing anything for individuals these days since they got the third-party administrator deal for the AHCA.

If you have an individual plan, you're pretty much going to be going through the exchange, and I'm pretty sure BCBS and Coventry are about the only games in town that entered here in OK? GMThunder can provide a lot more info if/when he sees the thread.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Max deductibles will have to be no more than the ACA set limits now, which is the out of pocket max. Currently, 6600

Coventry/Aetna are gone for 2015 plans.

This leaves...

Global (small insurer out of OKC)
BCBS ( best coverage and they pay their bills but the company sucks)
Community Care ( great option but your out of network coverage is limited)
Assurant ( rates seem REALLY high and that says a lot )

To clarify, you do NOT have to through the marketplace exchange unless you want a subsidy. You can go direct to the carrier and it's the same price.

Contrary to CNN and the Obama apologists around here, all prices in Oklahoma for individuals are significantly higher, with a ~12% increase in one year across the board. With well over half of the group plans seeing increases.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To clarify, you do NOT have to through the marketplace exchange unless you want a subsidy. You can go direct to the carrier and it's the same price.

And thanks for that clarification. One more question - the plans and coverage are still all the same, no? You're just buying direct versus through the exchange website? Meaning they don't offer any plans direct that arent already offered through the exchange? Or do they have plans they sell ONLY outside the exchange via direct sales?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And thanks for that clarification. One more question - the plans and coverage are still all the same, no? You're just buying direct versus through the exchange website? Meaning they don't offer any plans direct that arent already offered through the exchange? Or do they have plans they sell ONLY outside the exchange via direct sales?

Actually, I'm going to retract my last statement and I apologize for any misinformation but this ridiculous law is a moving target. Apparently, Assurant has some differing pricing in some cities. I've yet to research them completely in NE Oklahoma as they are just too high and I have no idea with whom they are contracted with yet.

In 2014, the plans were all the same through the major carriers, and the pricing was identical WITHOUT a subsidy obviously. The metal tiered plans all had the same initial coverage "on" or "off" exchange. THIS does change again, when someone applies for subsidy and or cost sharing, as the deductible and max OOP changes dramatically with the premium.

The 2015 plans seem to be the same in terms of tiered coverage with BCBS, Comm Care and Global. BCBS and Comm Care have been insistent that the pricing was the exact same, in which I though the equality was mandated by the ACA but I guess not. I have yet to do an apples to apples comparison with Assurant in Oklahoma.

Dunno if that helps, but this is why this drives agents crazy......every day something changes.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In 2014, the plans were all the same through the major carriers, and the pricing was identical WITHOUT a subsidy obviously. The metal tiered plans all had the same initial coverage "on" or "off" exchange.

Thanks so much for responding to my thread. I have yet to visit the ACA website, but are you saying that if I go to O'Dummy's website that I could find BC/BS policies, subsidized by the govt?

Thanks again.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're only subsidized if your income qualifies you to receive subsidies.

Exactly.

Nem, you will be asked a series of questions about your income, indian status, household size etc. Keep in mind "Obamacare" is simply "private" insurance that is subsidized but regulated by the government.

As of last year you could NOT qualify for a Bronze or catastrophic type plan with a subsidy. You had to take a Silver or better.

Highly recommend those that are healthy and young to stay on a HSA compatible plan and load it up every year.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you can view and price out plans on the site without going through all the BS, if you want to see whats out there. Make sure you know/read about your networks as some BCBS plans DO NOT include hospitalization at St Francis and St Johns.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom