Meat Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I'm in the market for a smoker. I really want a traditional smoker with the fire box on the side. I'm currently looking at an Oklahoma Joe's at Lowes. It's also in my price range...$479. Anybody have experience with these? I am getting confusing info on the Internet. Some say they are no longer made and some say Char Broil bought them out and they're not as good as they used to be. I can't find a manufacturer's website on them either.

Also...Is it a coincidence that THE best BBQ restaurant I have ever been to is called Oklahoma Joe's here in Kansas City? Are they somehow affiliated?

ugoleftillgorite

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as the restaurant vs the smoker branding, this is from their website:

"Oklahoma Joe’s Barbecue and Catering can be traced to competition barbecue and the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS). Tagging along with friends at the American Royal and The Great Lenexa BBQ Battle was all the inspiration Jeff needed to get started cooking on his own. The first smoker purchased was an Oklahoma Joe’s 24” smoker, christened below in April 1991."

It appears that before they were a restaurant they purchased an Oklahoma Joe's smoker. Seems like there is a link in the naming, but that they do not own the brand.

EDIT: I should have looked further before posting. They are directly related:
history.jpg

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this the one made over by Boley?

I like the standup water smoker myself.
Wife bought me a big rig last year from Sams I think.
Has the sear burner, propane grill, charcoal grill, & side box smoker.
I haven't got around to using the smoker, maybe this year.
But the water smoker allows me to add my secret ingredient to flavor my meat.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Char-broil brand that I got from a friend ( I haven't used it yet), not sure how old it is, but it seems like it has alot of gaps where different parts come together. Could loose heat that way, but the internet has alot of info on mods you can do to pretty much make a $200 smoker work like a pro one. I also have a small vertical one, kinda looks like a little trash can, I did a few mods I saw on the net and it smokes real nice. I see alot of smokers on craigslist used and new from builders, so you might look there too. Check out smokingmeatsforum.com, it is ran by a guy in Tulsa and there is lots of info.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd probably get laughed on the stage, but I'm thinking about picking up a Char-Griller Duo from Lowe's. Half propane, half charcoal, but has an optional side-fire box. Starting at $300 for the unit and $50~ for the side-fire box.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Out of the box, they just seem mediocre to somewhat decent. But, there's a lot of people modifying these things to make pretty incredible rigs. So, I'd like to pick one up, re-paint and treat it, add a side-fire box, have someone cut me some steel heat tuning plates for the charcoal side and a baffle for the lid to bring the stack down closer to the food.

i202.photobucket.com_albums_aa110_carmo328_PICT0565.jpg

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had one of the Joe's 16 inch models for many years..It's made from 1/4 inch steel and so it's pretty well bullet proof..The only thing I've changed on it was replacing the expanded steel grills with stainless. Pretty much trouble free..

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my memory serves me

Ok joe was in the competitive BBQ circuit for years and won a lot of titles. The KC restaurant is his and he just opened one in Tulsa. He made / had made smokers under the ok joe name tht were quite nice. Them about 8 to 10 years ago they sold out to new Brunfields (sp) who was bought out by char-broil over the years and as the company got passed down the product got cheaper. I don't know about the current version but I'd guess it was re branded

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as the restaurant vs the smoker branding, this is from their website:

"Oklahoma Joe’s Barbecue and Catering can be traced to competition barbecue and the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS). Tagging along with friends at the American Royal and The Great Lenexa BBQ Battle was all the inspiration Jeff needed to get started cooking on his own. The first smoker purchased was an Oklahoma Joe’s 24” smoker, christened below in April 1991."

It appears that before they were a restaurant they purchased an Oklahoma Joe's smoker. Seems like there is a link in the naming, but that they do not own the brand.

EDIT: I should have looked further before posting. They are directly related:
View attachment 20053

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. If you guys ever make it up here, OK Joe's just stomps every other place in KC into the dust. Don't let them tell you Arthur Bryant's, it's a joke anymore.

But the water smoker allows me to add my secret ingredient to flavor my meat.

Dare we imagine what that might be? If I get my head out of the gutter for a minute I would guess beer or whiskey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom