Meat Smokers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my OK Joe's smoker from Academy back in 06. Dang fine smoker and holds temps well. I paid 500.00 back then. I also bought a Cookshack back in 07. Love them both.

i1235.photobucket.com_albums_ff422_Lurkerinthewoods_Picture005.jpg

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After owning three types of smokers I finally broke down and purchased the CookShack at Steve's Wholesale here in Oklahoma City. At $575.00 it wasn't cheap but worth every penny. It's made in Ponca City, solid as can be and simple in operation. I smoke ribs, brisket, pork shoulder and prime rib regularly, the one option above ALL other smokers was the Cold Smoke baffle. This smoker allows me to cold smoke salmon, cheese and even filets before I put them on the grill. Incredible smoker that actually costs less than the other three lesser model smokers purchased. The ability to put a chunk, (not chips) of hickory or mesquite or apple into the smoker and set the temp and walk away is truly "smoking for dummy's 101"

Ribs.jpg

Just a sample of last nights baby back ribs.

LRP

Reaction score
I am currently building a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) from a 55gal barrel. I have read that these are EXCELLENT. The cost is mostly determined by how much money you want to put into it, how many parts you already have on-hand and how nice you want it to be. There are videos all over youtube on these and a mega thread on the BBQ bretheren forums.

Here are some of my progress pics:

Used a Sanding attachment to grind off the surface rust inside the barrel.
IMG_20120401_132102.jpg

Pic of the barrel from a distance
IMG_20120401_132117.jpg

Ash pan doubles as a stand for the coal basket
IMG_20120402_132947.jpg

IMG_20120402_132959.jpg

I need to get some more pics though. I added a smoke stack, handle and lid holder to the original drum lid.

aabokla

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a big green egg and love it. Besides being great to smoke with its incredibly fuel efficient. Some people even use their BGE to bake pizza or bread in. It's ability to sear steak at 600 degrees is pretty cool too.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd probably get laughed on the stage, but I'm thinking about picking up a Char-Griller Duo from Lowe's. Half propane, half charcoal, but has an optional side-fire box. Starting at $300 for the unit and $50~ for the side-fire box.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5050-49769-...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Out of the box, they just seem mediocre to somewhat decent. But, there's a lot of people modifying these things to make pretty incredible rigs. So, I'd like to pick one up, re-paint and treat it, add a side-fire box, have someone cut me some steel heat tuning plates for the charcoal side and a baffle for the lid to bring the stack down closer to the food.

i202.photobucket.com_albums_aa110_carmo328_PICT0565.jpg

@Danny Tanner - I have that same grill that you posted (without the fire box) and it's great. Took awhile to put together but at that price point it's hard to beat.

I myself use one of those cheater electric smokers that look like a mini fridge. It's a Cajun Injector brand from Academy. Can't fit a whole lot but it works well, very low maintenance, and it's set & forget.

I have one and love it, I cook with charcoal 90% of the time, but nights like tonight when the old ball and chain is working and I am only grilling for me I use propane, and for her birthday I smoked about 42 steaks so it is a great, multi purpose, cooker IMO...

I have one of these as well. I need to get some new grates for it, probably going to go with plain old cast instead of that ceramic-coated stuff they send out with everything these days.

The gas side I do use quite a bit, for spur of the moment cooking, when I don't want to break out the charcoal, etc. It will go from zero to 500F+ in literally less than 2 minutes. In fact, with the lid closed and all three burners on low, it's hard to keep it under 450F. If I crank them, it'll peg the thermometer really quick, which I think is 750 or more. I don't do that very often!

Most nights when I'm cooking for multiple people, I'll use both the gas and charcoal side. It's equivalent to dual medium-sized grills. I usually do the meat on the charcoal side, and do some hot dogs for The Boy on the gas side. Also vegetables, and I have a good friend who is a veggie-tarian, so I often cook her not-meat burgers sausages (a term I use loosely) and stuff on the gas side, too. I do grill a lot of veggies, from foil packs of onions, shrooms and squash to olive-oil and garlic-marinated asparagus, etc. Last night I did some brats and dogs, and threw on a couple of portabellas (sp?) with a little Old Bay and olive oil drizzled on them. So, since it was a "quick cook", I didn't feel like breaking out the charcoal, the chimney, etc.

I have the smoker box as well, but I haven't had it out of the box yet. Got it last year, but didn't really have a lot of time to do anything major last year. I've never smoked anything, so I need to do some research on how to do the whole thing. If anyone has any tips, especially with this particular grill, I'm open to suggestions.

Anyways, big thumbs' up for this grill. Best I've ever owned, hotter'n hell, versatile and economical. I love it.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 20057

Just a sample of last nights baby back ribs.

LRP

I must be doing something terribly wrong with my cookshack because I have never been able to achieve bark like that with my cookshack. What temp and time range are you cooking at to get the ribs to bark up like that? I can only achieve that when I use my log burner.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I must be doing something terribly wrong with my cookshack because I have never been able to achieve bark like that with my cookshack. What temp and time range are you cooking at to get the ribs to bark up like that? I can only achieve that when I use my log burner.

Let them spend some time on the bottom rack, or I take the easy way out and "bark" them on the grill....

Latest posts

Top Bottom