Meet Frank, my son's first buck and story.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner_Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"sorry if this is a double post as I posted this as a reply in the youth hunt section as well and after reading a few more posts I thought it worthy of it's own thread here"

This was my 11yr old boys first deer hunt. I consider him very lucky to have harvested this his first time out. I was really proud as they started coming in around 3pm on Friday and he wanted the first deer he saw which was a doe. Talked him into waiting and watching. Then comes a 4pt. around 5pm and told him have some patience. Finally this guy starting darting in and out of the tree line about 6:50pm. Finally got the shot at 7:05pm, one shot you can see the entry, 150 yards, with a .243 that his grandfater gave him (let him use) for the hunt.

[Broken External Image]

My 12yr old has his opportunity as well. Again the deer started coming in around 330pm Saturday afternoon. Watched and waited and at least an 8pt came out of the trees about 5:30. He aimed and shot and missed at about 100 yards. I think he flinched slightly. Deer ran off, we went and looked for a blood trail or any sign that he did hit him and couldn't find anything. Went back into the blind and 20 minutes later we had deer again. About 6.45 7 doe and 3 bucks starting coming in about 400 yards away. Got within about 300 yards but wouldn't get any closer and then it was dark.

All and all a complete success for my boys first hunt. I will say I was dissappointed in the morning hunts as we only saw 4 doe one morning at day break for about 10 minutes before they left. Other than that the morning hunt was dreadfully quiet but the afternoon made up for that.

Oh, forgot to add my oldest that missed his deer Saturday afternoon did make a kill. We were leaving the blind Sunday morning and were headed home. There was a coyote looking at us. He asked me if he could kill it I said sure. He sighted in, took the shot and dropped him. Walked it off at 180yrds. Go figure missed a big deer at 100 yards and dropped a small coyote at 180. Anyway he was happy.

My youngest named his Frank and my oldest named the one he shot and missed Slick Willie.

Wow, what I weekend and I think (hope) I have them hooked for life! They are already saying they want to go with me again next month. I'm a lucky dad!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you ARE a lucky dad!

Good lookin' kid and an awesome story! One he can tell his grandkids someday.

I don't hunt but I do appreciate those that do. If not for the hunters, everybody in town would wake up to deer all over their lawns! :bigeye: While they look cute and adorable, they can wreck havoc on your place. Trust me!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it was opening youth rifle season this past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. An awesome thing IMO as there are very few people in the field and it really gives the young ones a chance early in the year.

Oh...ok. WHEW! Scared me for a minute! :pms2:

Uh...you might wanna wipe away that date in the bottom corner then. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom