Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

• Total voters

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, for all intents and purposes Christmas in the US is a secular spending binge.

I want to give you an e-high five for not typing "intensive purposes".

It has nothing to do with Jesus, except that it's one of the two times that Christmas'n'Easter Christians go to church.

Hey man, I'm going Christmas eve, it'll be the first time I've been to church since Christmas eve 2006. I just go to be with the family, but health issues and weather have kept them home the last few years. I'll report back if I burst into flames.

I always like going on Christmas eve for the people watching of the folks that only come once a year (well, like me). My favorite happened last time, a guy in a leather jacket and a girl in an ankle skirt that both reeked of "good cheer" if you catch my drift came and sat near us. The women in the family were not amused at the pot jokes my dad and I were making. Prudes.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, for all intents and purposes Christmas in the US is a secular spending binge. It has nothing to do with Jesus, except that it's one of the two times that Christmas'n'Easter Christians go to church.

I'm not super familiar with the Gospels but something tells me that Jesus would prefer that we donate our disposable income to charity instead of using his birthday to justify buying ourselves a new M&P*. Except Christmas isn't really his birthday so much as it's the result of early Christians co-opting a couple of different pagan equinox celebrations.

*I think I'm using his birthday to justify buying a new M&P
If Jesus were here in body again and not just in spirit,then he probably would be putting new sandles or carpentry tools on his Xmas list hisself besides making sure other people had a good Christmas. The spirit of giving is Christmas to me. If you give yourself something,isnt it still in the spirit of giving? I always have to make a list to give the wife and kids,a list for drawing names at the inlaws,and then I also have a 'super secret' list of stuff I treat myself to. Merry Christmas to me... and I do always donate much money at Christmas to charity so others can have something for Christmas,and I encourage others to do so as well. Also it is tradition at our shop to take one night during the week of Christmas and all of our artists will donate something to it from their nights reciepts and then my ex will designate where we are donating it that year,always somewhere different. Weve been doing it for years and it really makes you feel good. And shes Wiccan as well as a few others in the shop just so people know that people who are Pagan or Wiccan are not Satanists and they do have hearts and souls and care about our planet and its people.

Merry Christmas OSA.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did have a guy explode on me for saying "Happy Holidays" once while the "War on Christmas" thing was going full steam ahead a few years ago (and only because there were multiple upcoming holidays, and I genuinely hoped he would not have his sanctity violated by a pack of rabid goats or anything of the sort on either of them...). The baffling thing is that I was just rotating holiday greetings so I didn't go insane repeating the same phrase over and over, and he happened to get Happy Holidays.

I'm sort of of the opinion that if you are being anything but kind to other people during this season, you're doing it wrong. Nobody will remember in ten years which cheesy slogan you parroted for two weeks in December, but they'll remember kindness and basic decency.

Wars on this and that and the bickering associated with them only serve to emphasize the ugliness in people.

^the people responsible for this cheesy holiday post have been sacked

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did have a guy explode on me for saying "Happy Holidays" once while the "War on Christmas" thing was going full steam ahead a few years ago

Seriously? What did he say? What was your response? I can't imagine people are that prickish IRL.

I would have said "I didn't mean it anyways, you *profanity*"

I've been telling people to "Have a good one." all day. I think it might be because of this thread. I don't get angry often, but every time someone cuts me off in traffic or I stub my toe, I bottle it up. If someone replies "Have a good WHAT?!?", I'm going to unleash it all on them.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously? What did he say? What was your response? I can't imagine people are that prickish IRL.

I would have said "I didn't mean it anyways, you *profanity*"

I've been telling people to "Have a good one." all day. I think it might be because of this thread. I don't get angry often, but every time someone cuts me off in traffic or I stub my toe, I bottle it up. If someone replies "Have a good WHAT?!?", I'm going to unleash it all on them.

Just say "anything".

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If Jesus were here in body again and not just in spirit,then he probably would be putting new sandles or carpentry tools on his Xmas list hisself besides making sure other people had a good Christmas. The spirit of giving is Christmas to me. If you give yourself something,isnt it still in the spirit of giving?

Hell if I know. I just read the bible for the dirty bits in Song of Solomon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom