Midway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know of NONE of these movies coming out.
Have not heard of any of them as I have not watched local TV in many months.
Well except for old black and white shows that are on when the wife has the TV on.
Commercials and news. None of that, they seem to get it all wrong.. not worth turning it on.

But now I know. Probably a movie.
Don’t feel bad. I watch a lot of tv and I haven’t heard of it. But I only watch a handful of shows. Mostly animal planet and discovery.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read a book about Midway when I was a teenager. A short six months after Pearl Harbor, our intelligence recognized the planned invasion and set a trap for the Imperial navy. It was touch and go (which side could find the other first), but ultimately we sank four of the six Japanese carriers responsible for Pearl Harbor. We lost the Yorktown, but the Japanese navy never fully recovered.

I'm no scholar, but I'm pretty sure this battle turned the tide of the war in the Pacific. Many pilots and crew went to battle in woefully antiquated aircraft, particularly the Devastator torpedo bomber which suffered damn near 100% casualty rates. No torpedo struck a Japanese carrier, but the Dauntless SBD dive bombers saved the day.

I hope the movie illustrates just how close we came to losing this battle and indeed, the war. Heroes.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who does not know about the Battle of Midway should watch this film. On a side note, the movie Tora, Tora, Tora has a segment dedicated to the story

I immediately noticed how the narrator said a PBY on "routine patrol". Even then, they didn't want to the Japanese to know we had broken their code. Epic.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just went and watched the trailer. Looks pretty good and the animation looked very realistic. Really the only way they could have shot those scenes since the ships and planes are no longer around. I play a lot of combat flight simulators and can only wish the in-game ships and aircraft looked that good. Loved the Dauntless using a stall to shake off a Zero.

Latest posts

Top Bottom