Might need to get started in the bow market

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
crossbow is the way to go with your limited time to shoot and practice. the horton xl 150 is a decent entry xbow. around $320. i've taken a few deer with mine and i'm pleased with the performance. enough that i don't feel the immediate need to upgrade.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I can find a used rig that fits me I want to stay below 500. If possible. I have had a few guys shoot me PMs with pointers and offers.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. I went to H&H and told them what I wanted. 2 1/2 hours later I walked out with a new bow a new release and 12 carbon arrows. I also felt like I got a first class lesson on how to shoot a bow. It was a blast. H&H is having a sale on last years models. I think it was 15% off. I am addicted to archery now.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go into any bow shop and they can fit you bow to you. H and H is running a sale right now.. I shoot a Matthews feather lite @ 70lbs, whisker bis rest. Becareful though... once you go bow its hard to pick up a gun again.. Bow season is 4 months long, gun.. 2 weeks.. There is nothing like getting within 10-20 yards and dusting a nice one. Just starting out get a sight with a removable pins and remove all but one. That pin should be pretty flat from 10-20. its hard to keep that thing steady on your first couple of draws when looking at a deer. I avoided shooting anyting past 20 for a couple of seasons just because I didnt want to get a bad hit. If your shooting close groups at 20, then by all means throw you a 30yrd pin in there. The truth of the matter is you will get 10 different ansewers from 10 different people so just get something thats not to heavy, shoots rather quite, You need to pull at least 55lbs IMO for actual hunting. Oh, dont get discouraged if you dont get anything, it takes a while with a bow to get them in close.

Not true by any means... Sorry but my wife shoots 42lbs and her bow has well over enough KE to kill a deer out to 40yrds. Her hunting setup shoots over 215fps which is faster than most 70lb bows did 20 years ago.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thats good she can knock them down like that. but im not comfotable shooting less than 55, that y i said imo. i dont shoot fixed blades and the the mach tend to need more pounds to fully deploy.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats good she can knock them down like that. but im not comfotable shooting less than 55, that y i said imo. i dont shoot fixed blades and the the mach tend to need more pounds to fully deploy.

For shooting mechanicals I agree you should go above 40 pounds. However, the state has a 40 pound minimum for a reason. 40 pounds delivers enough KE to kill a deer cleanly. I would suggest using some type of fixed (COC) cut on contact head i.e G5 striker, Mangus Buzzcut etc..

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The legal minimum is as low as it is for a reason. With the right arrow/head combination, 45 will do it very nicely. If you are going to Alaska or Africa, by all means bulk up and pull eighty or ninety pounds. If you plan to shoot at 50 yards, more horsepower is indicated. But, most Oklahoma shots are closer.

I don't shoot over 30 or 35 yards, because I'm not that good. But at that range, I can shoot clean through a 300+ boar with a 50 pound bow (been sick).

If you get a rig now, and practice a little (not a lot--just a few shots) every day, your learning curve will be gratifyingly steep. Too much practice makes you sore and creates bad habits. Couple dozen shots a day, especially at first, is enough. There is still enough time for you to be proficient by Oct 1. Modern compound bows are pretty mechanically sophisticated and you can get to be adequate, if not expert, in a surprisingly short time.

As for Xbows, they cost more, look cool, shoot no better than compounds, are easier to aim, slower and noisier to reload, and I don't like them. Your mileage may vary. I wanted one for years, and when I got old enough, I did some very disappointing research and decided to stay with the compound until I can no longer pull it back. Then I'll get an xbow . . .

Lots of stuff to know other than how to shoot a bow. Camo, scent, wind, light conditions, sound, etc etc all become much more critical. The only time I now get off the ground while deer hunting is in bow season. Otherwise I am in a chair in a blind or just in the weeds under trees. I do go up ladders to shoot hogs, out of a sense of fear of retaliation. CB

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and shot a Hoyt at H&H today. Definately a learning curve with a bow. Something I think I could come to love.

If I can find a used setup for a a reasonable price I'll probably buy it. Just have to get the Mrs. to go with it.

I'll have more details Monday.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and shot a Hoyt at H&H today. Definately a learning curve with a bow. Something I think I could come to love.

If I can find a used setup for a a reasonable price I'll probably buy it. Just have to get the Mrs. to go with it.

I'll have more details Monday.

Did they tell you what your draw length is? Right or left handed? I am considering a new bow.... I want to shoot the new bow some before I get rid of mine.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
29" draw. I'm right handed. I bucked up to the counter and said I know nothing about bows but want to get started. Keep me below X amount for a setup bow. We were off.

He set the draw length for me and we play with the draw weight. I settled down on 52lbs. probably could go a bit lower but it felt good at that point. I think the bow I shot was priced at 519. it was not one of the bows on sale.

unless something changes I'll probably own a bow by the end of the week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom