Milt Sparks, GGRRRRRR!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I’m just disappointed. They have this massive name. People slobber all over their stuff. They’ve been in the business a long time. Their website leaves the impression they are professionals that know what they’re doing. Production time in big bold letters. Regular updates as to when items are being worked on. Real warm and fuzzy, reassuring stuff. Then they exceed their own “estimate” by, so far, 30%. Thirty Percent (so far)! I do that a couple times to my boss and I’m on the unemployment line. Being off by 30% is no longer an estimate; it’s a wild guess. And then they’re totally non-committal about the new “estimate”! And the update posted 2 weeks ago gives no hint they are behind one and a half to two months. They’re still telling people they will have their holster in 6 months. I guess they’re still in business because A.) They make a quality product, B.) No one seems to think any of this is unacceptable, even to the point of admiring it all. I can’t even wrap my mind around that one. Quite bizarre.

Geez man, quit whining.

As taken from their site..

Update 11/18/09. We are now finishing up the few remaining May orders and some June orders have been pulled for production.

Looks like they give pretty good updates to me. These are hand made and they are quality. As with anything custom hand made it takes time. They have a pretty good following and HUGE demand, hence the whole taking in only so many orders a month. To say the least they could probably raise their prices significantly and or do away with a quota system entirely.

As far as CS, it's excellent by my experiences. I had my VMII stolen off my parent's porch this time last year upon delivery, with a number of other packages. Either way, MS was more than gracious and long story short, they resolved it very quickly with UPS, and I had a new holster 2 weeks later.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As taken from their site..

Looks like they give pretty good updates to me.

As far as CS, it's excellent by my experiences. I had my VMII stolen off my parent's porch this time last year upon delivery, with a number of other packages. Either way, MS was more than gracious and long story short, they resolved it very quickly with UPS, and I had a new holster 2 weeks later.

I guess you missed the point I was making about their recent update. There is no mention they are 2 months behind. They are saying they have been making the holsters ordered in June. In fact have not. Maybe by now they are, but not at the time of that update. That doesn't qualify as a "pretty good update" to me.
I've never said they suck because of low quality or long wait. I'm not happy because they, without explanation, exceed their "estimate" by an unacceptable amount and then not willing to commit at all to the new "estimate". As for, as you describe it, whining; the only reason I keep posting is to clarify my statments. Folk, such as yourself, misunderstand/misread what I've said then comment on it negatively. If making observations about a company I'm displeased with and warn others dealing with this company they are in for a wait they are not being told about is whining, then so be it.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I could find a holster that I felt was the equal of the SS2, I would buy it.

Many holsters CARRY the gun as well as the SS2 and are as comfortable (if that is your only criteria which it is for many) but I haven't found any that move with the body (very important for vehicular deployment) and resist grappling as well (even more important) as the SS2.

Not to mention the SS2 is available for 1911's and Glocks without any wait from Brownell's.

Michael Brown

Mike you might want to give 5shot leather a try,( He was mentored by Lou Alessi) they do not put in a metal band to make the holster stay open they use a reinforcement of leather, so it will not brake like the MS will.
Just my 2c.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike you might want to give 5shot leather a try,( He was mentored by Lou Alessi) they do not put in a metal band to make the holster stay open they use a reinforcement of leather, so it will not brake like the MS will.
Just my 2c.

I would think without the band, gun grapping would take the holster out of commission within two sessions for me.

I have had the muzzle ends of SS2's collapse with time but not the bands very often.

Any SS2 that we have in class will still function but may grip the muzzle a little two tight.

Plus I cannot custom order the holsters for class. We've got to have them available.

Michael Brown

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you missed the point I was making about their recent update. There is no mention they are 2 months behind. They are saying they have been making the holsters ordered in June. In fact have not. Maybe by now they are, but not at the time of that update. That doesn't qualify as a "pretty good update" to me.

No I got it, I just understand that you have YET to receive the holster so you don't know when you'll get it. When/If you get it in Jan, then come here and post your massive grief. I have a pretty big order around the same time I believe, maybe in July? Either way, I'll post when I get mine.

If making observations about a company I'm displeased with and warn others dealing with this company they are in for a wait they are not be told about is whining, then so be it.

Just putting things in perspective because you have honestly not behind in their quotes yet. They say 22-26 weeks on the site. They've said that for some time as once again, I placed an order within the same time period you did. I was quoted that exact number on the site, only reason I inquired was because I ordered extras and I thought it would take longer.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just putting things in perspective because you have honestly not behind in their quotes yet. They say 22-26 weeks on the site.

I guess it a matter of differing definitions. When I'm told at the time of order it will take 26 weeks, then 27 weeks later it hasn't shown up...I call that behind on their quotes. The guy on the phone even said they're behind (yet the site makes no mention of it). To be told the new delivery time will be around a total of 30 to 32 weeks with a "don't hold me to that" thrown in, their 22-26 weeks begins to look like total.......let's just say it's less than accurate.
It's funny. This sight has always struck me as overall supportive. Not always, but overall. I originally posted to vent. I didn't expect such a strong pro-Milt Sparks contingent. I've never said they are crap or that a long wait is anything out of the norm when buying a holster. I just expected MS to be a lot closer to their estimate and to be able to tell me why they exceeded it by so much. When asked he twice mumbled the phrase "production delay". Gee, no kiding. Can't help but wonder if some giant, high dollar order came in and guys like me got shoved to the back. Maybe they had a fire, I don't know. With such a big name and the legendary brand loyalty I've seen in some MS owners, I just pictured they would be different than what I'm experiencing.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it a matter of differing definitions. When I'm told at the time of order it will take 26 weeks, then 27 weeks later it hasn't shown up...I call that behind on their quotes. The guy on the phone even said they're behind (yet the site makes no mention of it). To be told the new delivery time will be around a total of 30 to 32 weeks with a "don't hold me to that" thrown in, their 22-26 weeks begins to look like total.......let's just say it's less than accurate.
It's funny.

Just a thought here...
Not bashing or anything, but have you ever worked in production?

I have and to ESTIMATE what your production will be 6 months out is kind of hard to do. Granted, they could have informed you better once they knew that they were not going to be able to meet their ESTIMATE, but to make a handmade item, if for some reason you do have a production problem, i.e. bad materials from vendors; not enough materials from vendors; loss of employees due to illness, death, moved, found another job; tool damage; warehouse fire, water, storm, theft, spill; etc. etc. then that ESTIMATE is out of whack by things that you have little to no control over.

Also, another thing to consider and this is on their website as well, is that the guy that answers the phone may take away from production time, therefore if they did call everyone that has been delayed, that ESTIMATE would automatically be lengthened by the time it takes to call everyone.

Good luck and I hope it is worth the 3-4 weeks longer without notification.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I'm told at the time of order it will take 26 weeks, then 27 weeks later it hasn't shown up...I call that behind on their quotes. The guy on the phone even said they're behind (yet the site makes no mention of it). To be told the new delivery time will be around a total of 30 to 32 weeks with a "don't hold me to that" thrown in, their 22-26 weeks begins to look like total.......let's just say it's less than accurate.

Good god man, have you EVER orded anything firearm related that was custom? They never guarantee 26 weeks at MS, it's an estimate. Having ordered probably 6-7 holsters from them they told me this EVERY time. Considering they PROBABLY got some time off for the holidays here or there, cut them some slack. Honestly, they probably told you that estimate so you wouldn't call every week and you wouldn't expect it till after the holidays. Probably a default policy to keep people off their back so they can actually make holsters.

It's funny. This sight has always struck me as overall supportive. Not always, but overall. I originally posted to vent. I didn't expect such a strong pro-Milt Sparks contingent.

It's no pro-MS such as it is experience with ordering firearm related stuff over the years and especially last year. Ever ordered a custom 1911? How about trying to order certain handguns, ARs, hi-cap mags, etc this time last year? Don't even get me started on ammo.

Now as far as being supportive all I can say is I guess I just don't see the huge dilema, you basically have to wait a bit longer for quality.

With such a big name and the legendary brand loyalty I've seen in some MS owners, I just pictured they would be different than what I'm experiencing.

MS is known for building great holsters. What in your experience compromises that? Nothing. That's where the loyalty comes from. Seems they have a good following, so either this isn't the norm that "production delays" don't normally happen OR they are late on their estimates constantly but people really just don't care because they are good holsters.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose I'm just not cut out for this forum. I posted a short post to vent a little. Just like I've seen a ton of other people do. People are pulling out quotes without regard to who I'm responding to or what I'm addressing. They twist it around, put a spin on it, then tirade against me. For those of you that sent helpful posts with constructive recommendations, honestly, thank you. I'm spending a stupid amount of time reiterating things I've posted to clarify and it's getting me nothing but more misrepresentation. Now it's gotten insulting. My posts are being read, by some, with the worst possible mindset from the get-go. In one day I've gone from loving this site to wishing I'd never joined. Go ahead, have a good time, tear into me some more. I doubt I'll log in for a few weeks.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think without the band, gun grapping would take the holster out of commission within two sessions for me.

I have had the muzzle ends of SS2's collapse with time but not the bands very often.

Any SS2 that we have in class will still function but may grip the muzzle a little two tight.

Plus I cannot custom order the holsters for class. We've got to have them available.

Michael Brown

Hm, well the one MS that I broke was in your class and I could not get it fixed. ( and MS would not help me out at all and I'd just got it two days before the class) That's why I went with the 5shot leather because it does not have the metal band to break.

Have you had issue with holsters like the 5shots/ Alessi type?
Thanks
S

Latest posts

Top Bottom