Mini-14 Tactical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would try some light-duty Loc-Tite on the rear sight screw once everything is adjusted properly. In my experience, they will shoot loose rather quickly. Stick with Ruger mags for all serious use; the others can be good range mags, but that would be all I'd use them for. The Mini is a rugged, reliable little carbine, fun to shoot, easy to maintain and cheap to feed.
Thanks; I'll keep that in mind. I have a 5/64" allen wrench and I used that to tighten up the rear sight. Like I said earlier, some techie at the factory probably just forgot to tighten both of the screws all the way. It was rather odd because I am fairly decent using a peep sight, and then I noticed that the rear sight was loose. That was after I had shot almost all my ammo up.

Next time, I take the two factory mags, my spotting scope and a few of those orange sticky dots out and see if my little fix worked.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got back a while ago from shooting my -14 and this time when I bump-fired the rifle, it by golly bump-fired. Then after that silliness, I settled down and started to sight it in. I think I have it centered laterally now and shooting from a rest, with iron sights the group size was acceptably small even it it was about an inch or below POA.

One thing I noticed was a couple of jams and a few FTF's, but I don't know if these were mag-related or not.

In any event, it was fun, especially the bump-firing.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some thoughts.

I like this rifle a bunch, and I am glad I got it, but I find, that I do a lot better with my GSR than my Mini-14 for some reason. Perhaps it is due to the bipod on the GSR, or maybe I am just more used to the GSR.

One thing that I need to do is apply some thread sealant to the rear sight. That will help a bunch and also look into getting a bipod attachment like I see on youtube. It is a bit early to think in terms of a heat sink but that is something that I'd certainly consider in the near future.

In short, it is a good rifle but I need more practice with it.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need some pics!!

Here's 2 of mine I shot this morning

Attachments

• IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 275

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some thoughts.

I like this rifle a bunch, and I am glad I got it, but I find, that I do a lot better with my GSR than my Mini-14 for some reason. Perhaps it is due to the bipod on the GSR, or maybe I am just more used to the GSR.

One thing that I need to do is apply some thread sealant to the rear sight. That will help a bunch and also look into getting a bipod attachment like I see on youtube. It is a bit early to think in terms of a heat sink but that is something that I'd certainly consider in the near future.

In short, it is a good rifle but I need more practice with it.

I have one of these on both my Mini-14 an Mini-30, and they work!!!!!!!!!! Worth every penny!
https://www.accu-strut.com/

Here's the one on my Mini-14.
i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN2866.jpg

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mini 14 has a tremendous amount of barrel flip when fired and will usually do better with some type of add on that stabilizes the barrel to a certain degree. Years ago an outfit made something like a barrel wrap that stiffened the barrel and improved accuracy somewhat. In my opinion these rifles are fun plinkers with very little true accuracy potential without spending a large sum of coin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom