Motorcycle Owners/Mechanics, step on in!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend upgraded from a 95 Honda CBR600F3 to a 2002 Shadow 600 and I'm getting his CBR for cheap. I've done most of the work on the bike between changing the plugs, cleaning the carbs, redoing some of the wiring, and replacing sprockets. One of the forks has been leaking for a bit and I don't have the tool to do the job myself (and I'd prefer someone with more experience when it comes to suspension issues). Along with the fork seals the bike needs new tires and a chain.

I did some research and narrowed down my tires to some Shinko 009s that I can get on Ebay for $180 or so for both tires. They seem to get good reviews from people who ride on the street and don't get too aggressive in the corners but the track guys say they're horrible. Seeing as I don't plan on going to a track I think they'll be fine for my riding style. Amazon is having a sale on chains and they have DID x-ring chains for ~$100 with free shipping. I'm fine with buying the chain online but I've never bought tires online. Is it a good way of saving some cash or is it better to buy from a dealer? Either way I'd need to have the shop install the tires and chain (unless someone has a rivet tool for the chain and some time to kill) while they take care of the fork seals. So the question is, does anyone know a trustworthy bike mechanic/shop in the Norman/Moore/OKC area? And tires, online or dealer?

Thanks for all the reply. It seems like I rely on the collective knowledge of OSA on a monthly basis these days but I'm just glad it's available to me!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At one time if a person bought tires via mail order and took them to a local dealer to mount, the shop would normally do it but would dish out enough grief that you'd never want to show your face around there again. Most shops are still like this though there are some exceptions. Cycle Gear here in Tulsa did a set for me not too long ago and didn't give me any trouble. You might also see if the Motorcycle Tire Store is still around. The former owner (since passed away) was an old school BMW guy and he and I got along just fine.

Chain and sprockets are cake to do. You can get a breaker tool at Cycle Gear and save some money in labor.

As far as that brand of tires, I don't have any experience with them and couldn't offer any input. Generally I would suggest going with the best tires you can afford.

You could always go with a car tire on the rear... :pms2:

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had all the wrenching, that I couldn't do myself, done at Performance Cycle (OKC/Bethany) But I had Triumphs for the past 10 years and they're the only game in town for Triumphs. They never let me down though and they are a Suzuki house as well, they'll work on anything. I sold my Triumphs about three years ago and have not needed their services since. But like I said, they always treated me right and when my wife needed her bike custom lowered they had a new drag link fabbed up for her and really did it right. They also reworked my forks on my 955 when they were due.

Good luck with your bike. PS don't go too cheap on your tires. Buy quality tires and buy the right compound for the type of riding you're gonna do. You're not gonna need high performance tires but quality manufactures make different categories of tires. Consult a dealer. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

kerryt1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A patch of that tire the size smaller than your hand is all that's keeping you in control. Don't cheap out on tires or safety gear.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To add to what flatwins said. Most shops will gig you extra to mount mail order tires. So you'll lose some of what you save. Then you might have freight on eBay tires. I always just worked the dealership (performance) for the best deal they could give me and almost always came out even or very close to even with the same brand tires that I could have gotten online. Plus I supported my local shop and local economy, it was a win-win. And again, I always bought quality tires.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JP Cycles is having a free shipping promotion this week, Dennis Kirk may also, and they generally have some of the best tire prices on the 'net. Mounting tires is easy (To me, anyway) and balancing on my angle iron/ skateboard wheel bearing stand (Or Harbor freight stand) works fine. Racers have been balancing motorcycle tires for years on simple stands. Stick with good tires, there's little room for error on a scooter, and you're gonna end up riding faster than you might think.

Does your chain use a traditional connector link (Use a large set of needle nose pliers to remove) or does it require special tools?

In edit- Just like OK Shooters, there are many technically focused cycle forums. Lots O info out there about your specific bike and common problems/ fixes. Just keep your BS filter on (Just like here). Forks aren't hard or expensive to rebuild, but you'll need the appropriate factory service manual.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My last set came from cycle gear on nw expressway. They sometimes put sets on sale and it seems like I paid 220 for the set. If memory serves they are bridgestone battle axe and I put them on my 09 R1. Motorcycle-superstore.com always has tire deals as well.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .pdf file of the shop manual for the bike but I still prefer a shop to do the forks. I'm good with a lot of mechanical things but I don't want to screw something up. The chain that's on there has a clip that keeps the master link on but the DID is a rivet link.

I'll check with a dealership on tires. There are Michelin Pilot Sports on the bike but they're almost out of tread. I want good tires but don't want to get suckered into expensive track tires that I won't utilize.

I frequent the CBR forum for information and they're pretty useful but sometimes nothing beats a good mechanic. Thanks again for all the help!

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .pdf file of the shop manual for the bike but I still prefer a shop to do the forks. I'm good with a lot of mechanical things but I don't want to screw something up. The chain that's on there has a clip that keeps the master link on but the DID is a rivet link.

I'll check with a dealership on tires. There are Michelin Pilot Sports on the bike but they're almost out of tread. I want good tires but don't want to get suckered into expensive track tires that I won't utilize.

I frequent the CBR forum for information and they're pretty useful but sometimes nothing beats a good mechanic. Thanks again for all the help!

The Pilot Sports are good tires but theres definately a variant of some kind from some of the well known makers that would fit your needs and application. I used to be pretty well versed in tires then I finally found a set that I really liked and stuck with them and I just stopped researching after that. It can be extremely daunting but someone at a dealership or shop can get you pointed in the right direction.

Some ideas from some top brands:

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2012.pdf

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitment-guide/search?type=fitment&make=12&model=369&year=429&submit=

http://www.avonmoto.com/products

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/index.html

http://www.conti-online.com/generat...orcycle/themes/motorcycletires/folder_en.html

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fork seals are intimidating, until you do it once. I put off leaky seals for a long time when I lived in Lawton, frankly because every scooter shop in town charged a premium to work on imports, but I eventually got around to it. It's not as challenging as it seems. Do a little research on YouTube, and find that moxie to charge into it. Mark and index the forks, pull em out, drain them, flip the sills, reassemble, remount, pour in new oil... But shell out the cash for a measuring cup when you're ready to refill them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom