GM spare tire winch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have cut more than a dozen cables holding tires up that did not work.
I never had a spare under a vehicle.
Same here, except for the one on my f350, it broke itself and I lost it somewhere, hopefully it didn't hurt someone.

@dennishoddy if your SD still has the plastic tube that runs to the spare winch, driving down dirt roads will fill that winch key and mechanism up. Stick a long compressed air wand in it occasionally or the wand at the car wash or power washer occasionally. Especially before you head out across country.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here, except for the one on my f350, it broke itself and I lost it somewhere, hopefully it didn't hurt someone.

@dennishoddy if your SD still has the plastic tube that runs to the spare winch, driving down dirt roads will fill that winch key and mechanism up. Stick a long compressed air wand in it occasionally or the wand at the car wash or power washer occasionally. Especially before you head out across country.
I've actually never looked at it, but thanks for the advice. I'll follow it.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never ever thought a spare tire under a vehicle was a good idea.
I love one on the front of a cattle pusher bumper though.
Spare in front of the vehicle is practical.
Especially if you hit deer.

I liked the old Subaru design where it was placed over the engine in the engine compartment. It actually was part of the crash safety system.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably did the unnecessary recently but when I had tires done I replaced the spare as well as my regular 4. Granted I got the spare for my Ram on clearance for $75 so it didn't hurt all that much, but I figured it was a good investment as the spare had just been hanging around for 10 years.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spare tire devices are a serviceable item on a vehicle. Never an issue if kept cleaned and lubed correctly. Spare should be rotated in when rotating tires every other oil change. But one highly looked over and forgotten till needed!

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coolest spare tire I ever had was a 280ZX space saver spare tire.
NO air in it and it folded itself up without air and the vehicle came with a can of air to inflate it to a full size tire.
1704722725883.png

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old 80 F100 had a metal bar with a long eye bolt that held the spare up under the bed. Dad pulled the spare out from underneath and re-mounted the spare inside the bed behind the wheel well. It was out of the way, and easy to access.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rotate my 5 on my vehicles. I buy 7 for duallys. I can count on one hand times I’ve used the spare. I keep the capability of tire repair in every vehicle. Air too. I never believed in letting a spare hang under and rot. I also believe in good tires.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rotate my 5 on my vehicles. I buy 7 for duallys. I can count on one hand times I’ve used the spare. I keep the capability of tire repair in every vehicle. Air too. I never believed in letting a spare hang under and rot. I also believe in good tires.
Yep, we keep an air compressor in the vehicle. It's 12V but has to be clamped to the battery. Its powerful. The first thing we did when getting either of our RV's was to change the tires from the china bombs that blow up and are rated 60mph to Goodyear Endurance that are rated 88mph.
Never had a tire issue in over 100K miles on the rv's. A little extra money on good tires saves a blowout that can cause thousands in damage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom