Mountain Lion captured in North Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
unpossible... we don't have mountain lions in oklahoma.

Nobody denies they are here. I suspect this one has been a pet, and was turned loose, or escaped from a private collector. There was a licensed "cat dealer" in Ponca City for many years until he passed away a couple of years ago. You could buy a bengal tiger/cougar, african cats, etc from him with the proper permits.

Even the article said the ODW know they are here.

Problem is mis-identification by the public of domestic animals they construe to be a mountain lion for the majority of the reports.

We had a mountain lion killed South of Ponca a couple of years ago when hit by one of our coal trains. He had a tracking collar on. The cat had wandered all the way from South Dakota.

One cat has hundreds of square miles for their territory, so reports around the state of mountain lion sightings, may actually be the same animal sighted multiple times.

From the Article:

While mountain lions aren’t unheard of in Oklahoma, they are rare, according to the ODWC. Most sightings have occurred in the southern and western portions of the state. However, “cougars may even have home ranges that cover 200 square miles,” according to ODWC’s website.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...ticleid=20110423_11_0_Author887081&rss_lnk=11

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing you guys haven't mentioned is this was a mile away from Gilcrease Museum. Once you go west of Gilcrease it gets to be some fairly open land. I personally have seen six deer in the road on 57th west ave just north of west Edison street about a mile away from the Post Oak Lodge entrance. Wasn't the first time I have seen deer right there but it was the first time I about took out six of them in my truck going around a corner while they were standing in the middle of the road. I say its very possible it was a wild one.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody denies they are here. I suspect this one has been a pet, and was turned loose, or escaped from a private collector. There was a licensed "cat dealer" in Ponca City for many years until he passed away a couple of years ago. You could buy a bengal tiger/cougar, african cats, etc from him with the proper permits.

Even the article said the ODW know they are here.

Problem is mis-identification by the public of domestic animals they construe to be a mountain lion for the majority of the reports.

We had a mountain lion killed South of Ponca a couple of years ago when hit by one of our coal trains. He had a tracking collar on. The cat had wandered all the way from South Dakota.

One cat has hundreds of square miles for their territory, so reports around the state of mountain lion sightings, may actually be the same animal sighted multiple times.

From the Article:

While mountain lions aren’t unheard of in Oklahoma, they are rare, according to the ODWC. Most sightings have occurred in the southern and western portions of the state. However, “cougars may even have home ranges that cover 200 square miles,” according to ODWC’s website.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...ticleid=20110423_11_0_Author887081&rss_lnk=11

Darn you shoddy... you're the 12th Imam!...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Darn you shoddy... you're the 12th Imam!...

I know....Its my job on this forum........

And I can ASSURE you I know a bobcat when I see one:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_patience.jpg

Wait a minute! That might be a Civet cat!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom