Mt Rushmore area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any good info on this area? I've never been there, and thinking about taking the kids there this summer. I do know enough to not go during Sturgis rally LOL. Any recommendations on where to visit, stay, eat, etc, or where to avoid even would be much appreciated! Probably only staying a couple nights. TIA, Clint

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time we were there was 10 years ago. Lots of good camping and parks. Deadwood is a neat historical town and Rapid City has a life size statue of all former presidents on street corners. Little Bighorn is a couple of hours west.

It is about Sturgis time in early August, but the Days of 76 rodeo at Deadwood is a great event.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there 3 times, twice on a bike during Sturgis. I wouldn't say don't go during Sturgis but maybe wait a week later or a week before for more comfortable travels. Lots of neat stuff to see in that area. Dont miss anything you find interesting. Mount Rushmore is unbelievable with a musium that outlines the entier construction. I saw it 2 times and yeah, it looked the same both times but it is well worth seeing.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a link to some photos that I've taken in that area the last few years. In the near vicinity of Mount Rushmore are two highways of scenic interest. One is called "Needles Highway" and the other is "Iron Mountain Road. Needles is just west of Mount Rushmore and Iron Mountain is just east of there. One can make a loop of the two roads. Just don't be in any wide RV's because there are tunnels on both roads that are of limited size.

South Dakota Sights

The Badlands are out east of Rapid City, and as a bonus, near the eastern edge of the road from the interstate highway is a museum for the Minuteman rocket systems. Also just off the interstate is a site where one can actually see a Minuteman mockup in its silo.

Can't help much on where to stay because we stayed in a hotel each time. We also took a day trip and went up from Rapid City to visit Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming, but we were up there for multiple days.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recommend trying to stay in Custer State Park, the largest state park in America. Camping of every style, cabins, & a hotel are your choices. Very scenic, central to lots of attractions while being remote enough to enjoy a great night sky. Might be a tough reservation to get now that summer is nearly upon us.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was there about 40 years ago, so my info could be safely called dated. Two comments though, if they still do the helicopter ride, that was fun. and the size of the statues (?) was much smaller than I expected. But I also thought the Golden Gate bridge would be gold, talk amongst yourselves.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't try to pet the Buffalo. I've heard it won't end well.
We stayed in Keystone, near the base of the mountain. Neat little town.
Powder House north of town for breakfast, Ruby House downtown for dinner. Both very good. Miniature golf for the kids.
Be sure and go back to the monument at night. Pretty cool to see it lit up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom