Mt Rushmore area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most memorable moment when at Mt Rushmore. On a windy road in the park. Construction had us to one lane. On the motorcycle. Up blew a golf ball size hail storm out of nowhere. Had onhelmets and protective coats. Nowhere to go. Pulled over to go hug a tree when a construction worker pulled up to let us in his pickup. Wife still had bruises from the hail on her shoulders and back. One of those unforgetful vacation moments LOL

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We went but it was nearly 25 years ago. We stayed in an RV park/campground somewhere near the park. It was nice and quiet with pancake breakfasts and cookouts at night.

My biggest recommendation would be make sure you have plenty of fuel driving thru eastern Wyoming. We stopped for snacks or a drink in Lusk and I decided not to top off with fuel because I had over 3/4 tank. I was driving a Chevy 1/2 ton and pulling a <4,000 pound trailer. It was windy.

When we turned north on the highway from Lusk to Newcastle (about a 75 or 80 mile stretch) the wind was directly out of the north (as usual in WY) and it was like driving into a wall. By the time we were 10 or 11 miles from Newcastle my "Fuel" light was on. There was no way we were gonna make it. I found a spot to pull over, unhooked the trailer, put a bike in the back and left for fuel. I don't recall the size of the tank on that pickup but it seems I put about 1/2 gal more in the truck than the listed capacity.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Similar. Heading across southern Nevada from St George Utah to Calif/Yosemite on the motorcycle pulling a small trailer. We were on the ‘Extraterrestrial Highway’. After 45 minutes to get to the ET highway there was a sign ‘No services for 160 miles’ looked down at gas gauge and did a quick mental calculation. Oh crap. It was going to be cloooose. Towards the end we were coasting down hills trying to save fuel. Pulled into Tonopah on fumes.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Similar. Heading across southern Nevada from St George Utah to Calif/Yosemite on the motorcycle pull, UTing a small trailer. We were on the ‘Extraterrestrial Highway’. After 45 minutes to get to the ET highway there was a sign ‘No services for 160 miles’ looked down at gas gauge and did a quick mental calculation. Oh crap. It was going to be cloooose. Towards the end we were coasting down hills trying to save fuel. Pulled into Tonopah on fumes.

Not quite as far (107 miles), but on I-70 in Utah, there is a sizable distance between Green River, UT and Salina, UT. They also have a sign on the interstate stating that distance for unwary travelers. I'd say that was a pretty good distance considering it is on an interstate.

Oh, and as an afterthought, a lot of that 107 miles is through beautifully rugged country.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we went we took the I-90 path, lots to do. I'm assuming you have whippersnappers
- The Falls at Sioux Falls (Falls Park) I like waterfalls.
- Corn Palace
- Wall Drugs
- Tractor Museum
- Missouri River crossing trails (nice break)
- Bad Lands (helicopter tours were cool)
- Reptile Garden
- Crazy Horse
- Mt Rushmore, obviously
- Mountain road drives in the area​
There were other things we did, but that'll keep you busy. Oh, and take your fly-rod for man stops.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom