Muzzle loader starts this weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hoping you all have great hunts. I'll be working, but hunt later with Remington Genesis stainless .50 cal and Traditions 3x9. Loaded with Rem 209, 100 gr Triple 7, Hornady SST 250 gr and sabot.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allout,
Are you spit patching between shots? I can shoot at least 15 shots before accuracy degrades.

My cleaning between shots is pulling the breach plug and cleaning it off, running a brush and bore cleaner through it and swabbing the barrel clean/dry. Pretty much completely cleaning the gun. If I do this accuracy is good.
If I do no cleaning between shots then it climbs with each shot and hard to load after about 3 shots. If I just swab with a dry patch to knock some crud out of it, it won't climb as much each shot.
What worked ok last year was I'd just run a brush through it dry and then dry patch to get most the crud out. I can shoot about 3 shots this way and hold decent accuracy.

Best accuracy is a completely cleaned gun between shots....
Im running 2(50 grain) Pyrodex pellets, Win 209 ML primers and 250g PB AeroLites.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cleaning between shots is pulling the breach plug and cleaning it off, running a brush and bore cleaner through it and swabbing the barrel clean/dry. Pretty much completely cleaning the gun. If I do this accuracy is good.
If I do no cleaning between shots then it climbs with each shot and hard to load after about 3 shots. If I just swab with a dry patch to knock some crud out of it, it won't climb as much each shot.
What worked ok last year was I'd just run a brush through it dry and then dry patch to get most the crud out. I can shoot about 3 shots this way and hold decent accuracy.

Best accuracy is a completely cleaned gun between shots....
Im running 2(50 grain) Pyrodex pellets, Win 209 ML primers and 250g PB AeroLites.

Sounds like you have a formula that works but it's very work intensive. You might try, after one fouling shot, a spit patch in and out, and then flip it over to the dry side, in and out. Then reload. You might try triple seven with the t7 209's as well. They specifically designed the chemistry of those to not be so nasty with their Triple 7 powder.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm ready to get my TC White Mt Carbine 50cal out and launch a 405gr hunk of lead at a monster buck.

The Knight DISC will probably sit in the safe unless my son takes it. There just something I like about the simple 21in TC cap and slug set up.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a formula that works but it's very work intensive. You might try, after one fouling shot, a spit patch in and out, and then flip it over to the dry side, in and out. Then reload. You might try triple seven with the t7 209's as well. They specifically designed the chemistry of those to not be so nasty with their Triple 7 powder.

Yeah it sucks actually.
I tried spit patching with the TC pads but had issues with not being able to get it dry enough and fouling the powder. I guess I could squeeze out as much of the stuff off those pads before using them though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom