Muzzleloader "Duplex" loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read this:

http://muzzleloadingbullets.com/dead_center_duplex_sabot.html

with interest a couple of times, and now have decided to try it in my Knight's DISC rifle with Buckhorn 209, just for fun, and testing for next year.

As you can see there, some of the guys who tried it are claiming excellent accuracy from a .357 cal, 175 or 195 grain bullet with a very good BC, from putting it inside a .45 cal sabot, then in turn inside a .50 cal sabot. These should generate quite good velocity as well, due to the expansion ratio and light weight. Velocity+BC+Accuracy is a winning combination of course, to turn a ML into a medium to long range gun without shoulder-busting 150 gr equiv loads.

I'm gonna order some of the 195s and try it sometime this coming year. Very intrigueing.

Evidently, picking the "right" sabots to make it work/seal correctly is very important, but if you order the "Dead Center Duplex" items (175 or 195 gr), for $15.50 each, instead of $14.50 each, they simply package all the sabots you need to make it work in a .50 cal. The extra $1 pays for the extra 12 sabots to make it duplex. These are bullets made by "Precision Rifle" company - excellent ML bullets that I've used before. The Dead Center bullets have a plastic soft point - not my favorite (I prefer an HP for ML hunting), but...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, normally the term "duplex load" means different powders, but that's what they were calling it, so I just called it that, too, to keep it simple.

If you ever get interested in owning a Savage ML-II better get one now, as Savage has discontinued the line.
It just never generated the buzz that they wanted, and it was the bottom seller in their line.
Higher priced than some of the other MZ's, but certainly worth it in my opinion.
Great accuracy, and much higher velocities than conventional MZ.
If one traveled to another state, it could still shoot BP.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hate to hear that about the savage ML. I've had one for 5 years and would give it a 10 out 10, and so would the other 4 buddies that I know that shoot one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to hear that about the savage ML. I've had one for 5 years and would give it a 10 out 10, and so would the other 4 buddies that I know that shoot one.

I know what you mean.
Its not a simple gun to own where one could just buy something and load it up and go hunting like pellets in BP guns.
Required a little time checking into loads/pressures, etc.
I leave the last load in mine each year as it not using corrosive powder, and use the "cold shot" as my point of aim.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck finding a Savage now. I just heard about the discontinuation yesterday and tried finding one locally and on the net. I have one, but wanted another, cuz who knows if they will ever bring it back. Anyway, apparently everybody made a mad rush and bought one when they heard they would no longer be made.

Anybody know any gunshops that still have one on the shelf? If so, PM me I would like to contact them and buy it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dangit. I sold my 10 ML because it had a plastic stock but I want the laminated thumbhole one. Now I'm gonna need to find a used one.
Nat
You had better get on it and get to looking. Try Natchez.com. They would sell them to you on line and ship them to the house.

BTW, there are still MFG out there that will sell you one.
Get your wallet out though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom