My Armslist Scam "Close Call" Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who has commented so far - I appreciate the time you took to read and reply.
One thing I think I may disagree with many here about is shipping to a ban state - if the weapon was outright banned, I would not ship but after speaking to the FFL he said that he could certainly receive it but just couldn't release it unless the purchaser shows LEO/Corrections or agrees to have appropriate modifications made to the weapon and/or magazine as applicable as the law requires. I was mostly concerned because someone apparently attempted to use a valid copy of an FFL, and deceptive e-mails to convince me he was an FFL. That is fraud.
Was it a fool, or a criminal, or a police sting? Well, I don't know and frankly, from my Point-of-View, it doesn't matter because the issue is to verify any info (which took all of 10 minutes out of my day for the ATF database search and a phone call and maybe another 10 to search a database of NYS gun law) and do the right thing in accordance with the law. Also, as many above pointed out - if it seems fishy at all, to borrow from Nancy Reagan, Just Say "No".

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why bother even considering an out if state purchase on any GUN?
We live in a very gun enthusiast rich state. Wait for an instate buyer and ignore all other inquiries. Just my humble opinion.

mega34bkw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used armslist numerous times without any problems, but there was one time that sticks in my head. I was only selling a box of ammo and at first the guy seemed fine. It wasn't until we finished our transaction, then he just went off on some weird tin foil hat conspiracy rant about the government while shaking, kinda freaked me out. I have on occasion turned down offers, just because of the way the people act making the deal in the first place.

My son got me started using the Facebook groups for buying and trading all sorts of things, just seems a little more personal, if you can put a name, face, and some friends to someone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom