My dilemma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should GED take the new job or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I have this very important decision I have to make by the end of the week. :nolike:

I was offered a job today that pays me nearly twice as much money that I am making now. While that to many sounds like a no brainer, let me tell you the bad part first.

It requires me to set up and run a sweat shop for homeless pygmies from Ecuador.

Ha! Just kidding! :laugh6:

But seriously...I got a call today from an officer of the federal court, saying that a position I had applied for almost a year ago has now came open again and I am next on the list of qualified applicants.

Again...here's the good news.

I would be making $22.50 an hour and hold the title of deputy U.S. Marshal.

My duties would vary but basically I would be providing courtroom security at the federal courthouse by either being the judge's baliff, outer courtroom security or courthouse entrance security, shaking folks down and seizing any "illegal" property (pocket knives and other items such as that) while persons are in the courthouse.

Sounds like a coosh gig, right?

Welp...here's the bad news.

Once I walk into that courthouse, I am a bona-fide deputy United States Marshall with full powers of arrest as mandated by the federal court. Once I clock out and leave the courthouse, I am nothing more than good ol' Joe Citizen.

Furthermore, I am not entitled to any type of job related benefits. No insurance, no retirement, no sick leave, no vacation time, nada, zip, zilch!

I will also be facing about an hour, hour-fifteen (+/-) commute one way to work.

I do however get ALL weekends and federal holidays off.

Mrs GED and I discussed it briefly this afternoon and we saw two ways of making this happen.

First option: We buy a new car that gets good gas mileage and put all extra money (after the new car's payment and insurance) aside to cover any medical expenses that might float our way.

Or...

Option two: I rent an apartment in the same town, stay there during the week and drive home on weekends, thereby using the extra funds for rent instead of for the new car payment, additional insurance policy for it and extra gas.

Either way, it would be about six of one/half-dozen of the other. :rolleyes2

Or, I could just stay at my present location where I have been for the last 7 years. I have health, dental and vision insurance on me, an Oklahoma treacher's retirement as well as a supplemental 403b account.

But...what's the old saing? Money talks?

I would basically be getting a $500 a month raise.

So. Whatcha think? :anyone: Should I take the job? Or just stay put where I am and find another part-time job.

Your comments please. :thanku:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The no benefits and extra long commute would be a deal breaker for me. Place a dollar value on what the additional costs would be, vs. the dollar value of your current benefits package. Then factor the value of the extra hours you'll be away from your family. You may find that twice the pay, just isn't.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing is this a job you really want? If it is, then the decision is not whether you take the job, but if you move or not. If you take the job, I would move. Painful at first, but better in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go for it... you will ALWAYS wonder how things would be.

I was faced with a similar decision once... And I thought, no I am not going.

Then I thought, what if somthing happens, like I meet the mother of my children or somthing. Well I went.

I met the most beautiful girl of my dreams, and she had 2 gorgous babies for me!!!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're getting 500 more cash a month, you are losing in the end. The benefits your current position provides I am almost certain would be more expensive to maintain separately. So it's not more money. It's most likely a loss.

Oh, and option 2 would suck. No way I would pay rent somewhere just for a job. IF I did the new gig, it would have to be option 1.

EDIT: Yea what glocktogo said. Apparently he types faster than me.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'd be better off driving a water truck in the oilfield or working in a call center IMHO.

$22.50 and no benefits, with a long commute to boot, sucks.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with the Fed Bailiff deal. We have several retirees doing that, and its not a bad gig for them, since they have their pension as well. Like you said, however, you have no sworn authority off of Federal court property. That can be solved with a reserve commission from a state agency. 22.50 an hour, however, with no benefits is terrible pay. The McAlester and Lawton Fed courts are slated to be closed, so thats going to leave a lot of unknowns as far as who gets shuffled to where, and such.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone who's been self-employed my entire working career, and never had a "benefit" I didn't pay for....you're out of your fawking mind if you give up health and retirement benefits for an extra $500 a month.

Unless you would love the new job and hate your current job. That would change everything, because if you'd be much happier at this new gig on a daily basis...that's worth a good bit in my book. But solely to trade benefits for $500 cash? Fawk that. JMO.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Benefits are easily more than $500 per month. Plus think about the commute time, gas isnt getting cheaper, higher car insurance, a new car payment, maybe an apt payment. You will be losing $$. Look for something closer. Plus you are not a spring chicken, if you get hurt, or sick, you will be up a creek.

Is it an option for you to go to your current employer and ask them for a raise? Show them the email or your offer letter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom