My dilemma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should GED take the new job or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also wanted to add you should take a piece of paper and do the pros and cons. Short term and long term. For me the cons is the insurance, time away driving (that gets old), plus you will spend $ to make more $, plus is there job security? In the end I am sure you will do the right thing.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's good gig if you're already retired. I know quite a few guys that have done it here in OKC. If I was in your shoes I'd stay in the job I already had.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
STAY STAY STAY! Man, that commute and loss of benefits would make this decison easy (for me that is).

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay where you are... benefits will save your ass if you ever need them... you don't want to go into a-fib, or have a car wreck without bene's it will break you.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 Dr. HK, except I would NOT show or even mention other offer to your present employer. They might quickly just say "congratulations, let me help you pack your stuff". Letting your current employer know you are or have been looking at other offers is like playing with fire, sometimes you get burned.

i am surprised you even have to ask, unless there is something about your present job you are not telling us. it is a no brainer, stay with your present job.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only real advantage I can see is to your resume'... you could use Marshall's job as a stepping stone to a better Civil service job with federal benefits. Have you asked if in this position it will be possible to move up into a position with benefits in the future?

1+ hours on a ICY road both ways.. isn't a fun commute in the winter ...

Most places rate your medical coverage as being worth about $2,000 a yr... about what you would pay in premiums.

You might price some private insurance.... and get a good used KIA or some such car that gets good gas milage.

The Oklahoma Dept of Corrections is hiring right now.. I think they start out close to $2,000 a month and have benefits.

For the best civil service job ever in the security field.... If any of you people are single and in good shape and can be on the road 6 months out of the year.... you need to apply to be a nuclear materials transport guard. They are federal guards that work out of Pantex, North of Amarillo, TX. You guard nuclear material / weapons between the plant and militaty bases 6 months of the year and work at the plant as security the rest of the yr.

While on the road, you have a semi w/ trailer and several forward & chase vehicles disguised to look like a average semi transporting freight. Average trip is 10 days. Sleeping quarters are in the semi trailer. You alternate 12 hours on / 12 off.. without stopping except to change positions... you work 4 hr shifts as radio op, being a driver and being a heavily armed guard. You get paid from the moment you pick up the shipment to the time it is delivered and you get back home. You go to double time after 40 hours and tripple time after 80 hours... average trip is 240 hours. Starting pay was 22.50 -20 yrs ago. Your on the road 6 months out of the yrs and you have to be in good physical shape and be able to pass a Secret Clearance background check.. These guys make really big bucks. One draw back is the divorce rate is high! When on assignment.. you can't tell your family where you are going... nor call them while your on the road. Total security blackout.

Latest posts

Top Bottom