My dilemma...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should GED take the new job or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
**snip**
Option two: I rent an apartment in the same town, stay there during the week and drive home on weekends, thereby using the extra funds for rent instead of for the new car payment, additional insurance policy for it and extra gas.

Either way, it would be about six of one/half-dozen of the other.

Or, I could just stay at my present location where I have been for the last 7 years. I have health, dental and vision insurance on me, an Oklahoma treacher's retirement as well as a supplemental 403b account.

But...what's the old saing? Money talks?

I would basically be getting a $500 a month raise.

So. Whatcha think? :anyone: Should I take the job? Or just stay put where I am and find another part-time job.

Your comments please. :thanku:

Like dustingaunder I cannot possible tell you what is right for you and your family but I can tell you mine and GC's experience with Option 2. I took a job for a short while that required me to live there during the week and come home on weekends. It very nearly ruined our marriage. We were both miserable before 6 months time had gone by. And this was a decision we discussed and thought we were both okay with at the time.

Also, $500 a month is not worth it when you are giving up the other benefits you've listed here. You will basically be running 2 separate households and we found that to be a bit more expensive than we anticipated.

What might help is for you guys to sit down and figure out how much money you would have to have to replace the benefits you will be giving up. I bet it would take a lot more than $500 to do that.

BUT, in the end you have to do what is right for you and Mrs. GED. Whatever you decide, good luck to you!!

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay with the benefits. The extra money I make pays for my health insurance, so really I'm not making more money. But I do have more control over certain things, which is important to me right now.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$500 extra a month isn't enough to give up just about every benefit, especially retirement...unless you already have one retirement under your belt.

It's definately not enough to try to set up two households during the week.

Last edited:

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was hired to a similar job.The Department of Homeland Security's Federal Protective Service offered me a postion with them.I actually went through the 80 hour academy, very interesting I might add.The postiton would be providing security for federal enclaves.Here in Tulsa Social Security Office,Federal Court House,and Corps of Engineers bldg.They had interesting hours,1800-0600 3 days per week,plus 4 unspecified hours.No benefits but $25.75/hour plus OT and holiday pay(2X).They also provided on site FEMA security in disaster areas where you could work for up to a month of 7 day a week 16 hour days and get a huge check.I turned it down.I would die of boredom working 12 hours a night at the Corps bldg.I think it's a good opportunity for a young guy with a family for the money but I don't need it that bad.I want to like whatever I do at this point in my life.You might look at it differently GED.Good luck with the decision.BTW,I had an impressive DHS id that was only good while I was at work just like you would.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GED, Man the first thing is "Benefits"!! What is your wife going to get if you go down???? Can you afford to be hospitalized after a stroke, or something similar??? The three days I was in St. Johns for my stroke ran about 25,000.00, damn good thing I have Tricare Prime, it only cost me out of pocket 12.00 a day. Stay where you are!!!!!!!!

Keelty

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK, glad you made your decision. I was for sure gonna vote for you to stay at your current job. If these people on OSA would just each send you 50 cents a month. you would be just fine and not have to do the extra work.

I for one would send you my 50 cents a month as its worth the entertainment of your posts!

Latest posts

Top Bottom