My encounter with a road rage driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
General rule is if I'm in my car, I'm definitely carrying, with my experiences. If I'm walking around, there's a 50/50.

General rule 100% carrying while in car, 100% when I am walking around (if I cant go where I can carry then I generally dont go to that place) and 100% chance I am carrying when I am on my motorcycle. To be honest I carry in places where I prob should not, but that is why they call it concealed carry as no one else should know I am armed.

45 shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
I've seen many drivers on the road who behave as if it is a personal insult to them if you pass them. I'm not talking about passing someone and merging back into their lane 3 feet in front of their bumper, I'm talking about just a regular old, legal, safe passing maneuver. They will start tailgating me, gesturing at me, gunning their engine as if they're trying to ram my car then stomping on their brakes at the last minute. Get over it guys, you don't own the road, and if you drive slower than me, I may decide to pass you.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when I was in school at TU and I was coming home one day on 244 and there was a guy that was passing me while I was putting my hand up in the window. Not flipping him off mind you, putting my hand in the window (I was smoking and kind of had the hand out the cracked window). He followed me all through Tulsa. I didn't know where a police station was, this was long before I was into shooting (and couldn't have carried anyways because I lived on a college campus) and didn't know Tulsa all that well. It was scary as crap. At one point I stopped at a stop light and the guy jumped out of his car and right as he hit my trunk I jumped the red light. I at least waited until he got near but not near my door so that I would have a jump start getting away while he would have to run back to his car.

Experiences like that are one of the reason that I got my CCL. Not because I carry with me all the time, but because I don't like driving without something with me. In nearly all other situations that I put myself in, it's pretty easy to avoid trouble areas or trouble situations, but it's nearly impossible to avoid ALL the idiots on the road such as those mentioned in this thread.

Do I think that the first response is to shoot if something happens? No, that depends on the situation. But if I don't have other options I am legally afforded the right to match force for force up to and including deadly force. And I value my life a lot more than someone who would go with blind rage into a situation that they don't know.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One thing I think needs to be addressed is "weapons dependence". So many times I here things like "I was unarmed" or "i didn't have anything to defend myself with", WTF WHAT IF this man did attack you? What would you have done if you did have a gun? What did you do to defend yourself before you had a gun?. Remember no matter what there is always going to be a need to enter a NPE (Non permissive environment) at some point and time, then what are you going to do?. Now don't take this as some kind of rag on you or anyone for that matter as I have been guilty of this myself at times. As many have said before self defence is all about layers. And the most important layer of self defence(other then situational awareness,avoidance, and de-escalation) is you hand to hand combat. I'm not talking about some kind of Steve segaul[sp] type martial arts, just some basic realistic street self defence. Like boxing,bjj,wrestling,krav maga,ect. You don't even need to be a master, just get some basic understanding of the fundamentals and a few techniques down and you will be far better off. In conjunction with that invest in some quality pepper spray(I carry the fox 5.3) pepper spray is a strong deterrent, and if your attacker is still insistent on harming you, you will have the upper hand in employing your h2h techniques. Other things to consider for self defence is a high quality flash lite for use as a pain compliance device. I carry an E1b backup from surefire. The com-tac stinger is also a great pain compliance device.a tactical pen is a vary handy peace of equipment to have and is permitted almost anywhere. Remember your gun is your absolute last resort, so haveing several options available to you will only enhance your ability to LEGALLY DEFEND yourself. training is vital in all aspects of self defence, and IMHO we need to spend far more time then most of us do on our h2h skills. Because we a far more likely to go hands on before deadly force is required then we think.

IMHO your right about "hand to hand fighting" being much more likely than using a firearm. And you should learn how to defend yourself without relying on a gun. I'm "pretty sure" the OP wished he had his handgun incase his vehicle was unlawfully entered by the "road rage driver" in attempt to harm him. I dont think much hand to hand fighting will be as effective in a small area like the front seats of a car. I'm refering to the Stand your Ground Law.

And...dont hit anyone with a flashlight. Thats not what they were made for.. Check out all the lawsuits and why NY police can ONLY carry light duty plastic lights...lol
Soon there will be anti-flashlight groups and a government agency designed to regulate all flashlights for us, because people have been hit in the head with an evil MAGLITE.

Once again, just my opinion.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first wanted to get my CCL, the main reasoning was the idiots you come into contact with on the road, after the class It doesnt leave my persone until the shower and bed, then its less than 4 feet away, this is the case other than place that are off limits by law

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've met AKguy1985. He's a decent gentleman and doesn't fit the profile of someone who needs following or other similar behaviors by citizens. I guess the moral of the story is to be aware, be very aware of all that's around you.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks buzz.........and yeah i had nothing in my car to defend myself with........nothing but my car you could say. I do need pepper spray i agree and i havent had any issues since this happened. Although i keep a close eye out for white cadillac devilles around owasso. It was just a case of a "tough guy" trying to be a cop when he wasnt

Latest posts

Top Bottom