My first Glock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really started getting into guns about 8 years ago, and since then I've owned and shot a wide variety of pistols. For some reason I never had the urge to try out a Glock, and had never shot one until today. The only "safe-action" trigger I'd felt was on a S&W Sigma, which was absolutely awful.

Last week I got a wild hair that I needed a .45 with more than just single stack capacity, so I went to Gunbroker just to look around. About 30 minutes later I found what looked like a good deal on a G21 Gen 3, and about 2 hours ago I picked it up from my FFL. It's a police trade-in with functional night sights and 3 magazines, and altogether it cost me $485. Although it hadn't been cleaned in a while, it looks brand new. So far so good, but I was curious as to how it would do on the range.

As soon as I got it home, I went out in the pasture and set up two 6" steel plates. They were about 20 feet apart, and I was standing 10 yards away. The first shot was dead center, and I couldn't believe the trigger! I rattled off the next 13 shots, alternating between targets, and had 3 misses. I was shooting pretty rapidly, and the plates were swinging pretty good after the first few rounds, so I was pretty happy going 10 for 13. I blew through 40 rounds in about 5 minutes, and could not believe how soft shooting and accurate the G21 is.

Guess I'd better pick up a little more overtime, because I can definitely see at least a G19 in my future. I'll post up some pics later.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There Will be ...More... in your future...congrats... ;)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm absolutely getting a G19, and maybe a G42 instead of the LCP or CW380 I'd been planning on.

Since you got the 45 bug, reloading may be in your future too.

I really need to jump into reloading. For a while people were saying that components were practically impossible to find, so I decided to wait. Has that situation improved since the panic buying is just about over?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Components can be found, you just have to build up several sources and check frequently. Casting your own bullets is an option too.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the new to you Pistol. Enjoy it. You can smooth out the trigger a bit more with a little effort. Do some reading on it. Maybe there is a fellow member up there by you that could walk you through it.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from taking out the G21 and my SR1911 CMD. The 1911 has probably less than 500 rounds through it (I bought it used), and the trigger is still smoothing out. That said, I've put thousands of rounds down range with various 1911s, and am pretty comfortable with them. For whatever reason, although I shot one for the first time yesterday, I'm just a better shot with the Glock. I was alternating between 2 steel plates and got to the point where it didn't feel like I was aiming. I just oriented the Glock toward the steel and heard a boom-clang.

I think that the grip angle forces me to cock my wrist forward a little more, which effectively strengthens my grip and makes it easier to control follow-up shots. It also seems to align the sights much more naturally. The trigger is just perfect. I don't know why and I'm not going to tempt fate by trying to figure it out.

The only problem I have is manipulating the slide stop and mag release. I can barely do so without altering my grip, and it's really a stretch. I'm thinking about installing some of the Vicker's upgrades, if they make them for Gen 3 G21s. Any pros or cons to doing this that I should know about?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your Glock. If you think the G-21 is fun, go and get your hands on a G-41, the long slide version of the G-21. Its even more fun and accurate too!! My carry and HD guns are a G-23 and G-27. My G-41 is part of my kit stuff. The G-41 will look larger than a 1911, but they are the same size, but the G-41 is lighter than a 1911, even loaded. The G-19 is also an excellent choice for a HD or carry gun. So enjoy your new toys!!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only problem I have is manipulating the slide stop and mag release. I can barely do so without altering my grip, and it's really a stretch. I'm thinking about installing some of the Vicker's upgrades, if they make them for Gen 3 G21s. Any pros or cons to doing this that I should know about?

Learn how to drop the slide without using the slide stop lever. Try using the slingshot method where you point the pistol away from you and use your weak hand and pull the slide fully to the rear and just release it.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As soon as I got it home, I went out in the pasture and set up two 6" steel plates. They were about 20 feet apart, and I was standing 10 yards away. The first shot was dead center, and I couldn't believe the trigger! I rattled off the next 13 shots, alternating between targets, and had 3 misses. I was shooting pretty rapidly, and the plates were swinging pretty good after the first few rounds, so I was pretty happy going 10 for 13. I blew through 40 rounds in about 5 minutes, and could not believe how soft shooting and accurate the G21 is.

Guess I'd better pick up a little more overtime, because I can definitely see at least a G19 in my future. I'll post up some pics later.

This is what I love about my G19. I just hit what I'm aiming at with it. Put on a set of XS big dot night sights and first shot was dead nuts center mass on a silhouette target. Took a while to get used to the blocky grip but I absolutely love my G19 now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom