my gun was stolen, then used in a murder........Advice appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me, but the gun was used in a shooting out of state. I felt bad someone was killed, but I am not responsible for the intentional bad acts of others. Neither are you. You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, you were the victim of a crime.

If you had left your a gun out and a kid had got a hold of it, I could understand your angst, but in the scenario you described, you are being way, way too hard on yourself. Life is full of terrible people who do horrible things. You are not one of them, and you sure as Hell are not responsible for them.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have inadvertently left my firearm in the console. It is a weird feeling once you realize it and check to see if it is still there. What kind of firearm was it? If it was under 500.00, I would let the PD dispose of it. If it is something of more value, I would double check that it is cleared with the PD and I would change the barrel and firing pin so nothing leaving that gun in the future could be tied to the past ballistics of the gun and the serial number.

If it really starts eating at you, sell it to been, he's looking for guns under 100.00 bucks. :D

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If/when you ever get the gun back, use it how you wish. It's pretty easy to articulate what happened if, God forbid, you did have to use it in self-defense. As others have said, it will be a LONG time before you get it back, and they will be performing 0 maintenance on it in the meantime, so it is likely to not be in great shape anyway.

Again, its a tool. If you lent your brother a hammer and he smacked his thumb with it, would you apologize to him?

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No need to sell, no need to swap barrel and firing pin/striker - that's nonsense. There's a thing called the official record, which you have on your side. Keep the gun, carry the gun. If someone carjacked you and was involved in a homicide with your car, you wouldn't change the VIN or swap the plates, and you wouldn't think twice about keeping it, or selling it

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, homicide doesn't necessarily mean murder. You never know what happened, until you read the record

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my worst fear of being a gun owner. That being said, it is done and over with. As they have said, you did not pull the trigger, you probably should have taken it in that night, however, if they are determined to kill someone, they would have stolen another gun, used a knife, hatchet, hammer or anything else. You have to let it go.

Personally, I would keep it, if for nothing else, a reminder to myself. I would not worry about carrying it though, actually it would probably be better documented that if you are if you bought one off of the Classifieds. I would not have a problem owning, buying or selling it.

There is a market for blood guns.

I have no idea if this is supposed to be sarcastic or what?

Last edited:

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange situation no doubt. But honestly if I was in your shoes, I'd just want my gun back, and the fact that it was used some low life in a homicide or murder wouldn't really concern me at all.

Traveler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Second Amendment supporters have been saying for years, "guns don't kill people; people kill people."

Now it's time to decide for yourself if you really believe that or not.

If you do, then there is no reason to let it bother you.

If you don't believe it, then you'll have to somehow resolve it in your own heart to be able to live with it.

My two cents don't let it bother you; you didn't pull the trigger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom