My new fiber optic internet speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because, well...
1689391338560.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.speedtest.net/
They have an app but you can run it right from that page too.

Thank you, Sir. The results on my desktop computer to the WiFi network.

View attachment 393186

I guess I don't understand all this technical stuff. In our case, going through our booster gets me such speeds above. Also, when it speaks of "Change Server," I get this list of "providers," most of whom I didn't think we had any connection to with the park's WiFi.

A AAA RV Park WiFi Speeds4.jpg

I even bypassed our booster and went straight to the park's WiFi and the numbers only changed as per upload speeds. Those dropped to zero.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand all this technical stuff. In our case, going through our booster gets me such speeds above. Also, when it speaks of "Change Server," I get this list of "providers," most of whom I didn't think we had any connection to with the park's WiFi.

View attachment 393303

I even bypassed our booster and went straight to the park's WiFi and the numbers only changed as per upload speeds. Those dropped to zero.
The "server" is the computer on the other end that you are connecting to for the test.

In theory, the closer it is to you, the faster it will be. Real world is often different. I try to stay with the bigger named providers like AT&T, Cox, Comcast, etc. because they have bigger budgets for all the go-fast hardware, that gives you a more accurate picture of the speed of your connection on your end.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "server" is the computer on the other end that you are connecting to for the test.

In theory, the closer it is to you, the faster it will be. Real world is often different. I try to stay with the bigger named providers like AT&T, Cox, Comcast, etc. because they have bigger budgets for all the go-fast hardware, that gives you a more accurate picture of the speed of your connection on your end.
If you really want to see the server/s you have to go through, find the IP address the speed tests hit .go to a DOS prompt, and type in the trace route command.

First go to run then CMD
At the DOS prompt type PING (then hit the spacebar) then type in the IP address you want to hit like this 70.143.123.190

It would look like this
C:\>PING 70.143.123.190 then hit (enter)

After the answer type

C:\>TRACERT 70.143.123.190 (enter)

or the IP address you want the ping command to hit

1689446020314.png

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want to see the server/s you have to go through, find the IP address the speed tests hit .go to a DOS prompt, and type in the trace route command.

First go to run then CMD
At the DOS prompt type PING (then hit the spacebar) then type in the IP address you want to hit like this 70.143.123.190

It would look like this

After the answer type

View attachment 393351
Man I quit nerding like that years ago! I will still do a whois lookup once in a blue moon.

:laughup:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to use first dial up then cell phone internet at my house out in the country for 22 years. Year and a half ago Elect Coop ran 1gig fiber to my house. Wowie zowie. Speed test on my old Win7 computer was only showing half a Gig or so. Ordered a new whizzo Win10 computer and bam,right in the 900-1Gig area with 4 TVs streaming. My old computer could not measure that fast. haha. I bought Roku boxes and cancelled Direct TV I had for 23 years the next day. Saving a lot of $/mo even with the Fiber's most expansive plan.

Congrats to everyone who can get Fiber.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Command line or power shell, not DOS.

First go to run then CMD

It would look like this

After the answer type

View attachment 393351

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to use first dial up then cell phone internet at my house out in the country for 22 years. Year and a half ago Elect Coop ran 1gig fiber to my house. Wowie zowie. Speed test on my old Win7 computer was only showing half a Gig or so. Ordered a new whizzo Win10 computer and bam,right in the 900-1Gig area with 4 TVs streaming. My old computer could not measure that fast. haha. I bought Roku boxes and cancelled Direct TV I had for 23 years the next day. Saving a lot of $/mo even with the Fiber's most expansive plan.

Congrats to everyone who can get Fiber.

Good to hear, I so want fiber internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom