My Open Carry experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the real truth is for as many people that have a handgun license very few actually carry concealed or otherwise. Everyone says they carry all the time, most do not. A small percentage of people carry more than 50% of the time and an even smaller percentage of those people open carry.

Agreed. For people like me who aren't even allowed to have a gun in the parking lot at work, it sucks. Even if I carried 100% of the time I that I can, it'd just be to the store to buy diapers, lol.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've yet to fully open carry, but I carry in a Blackhawk SERPA holster, so it's not exactly concealed either. I never tuck my shirt in anyway, don't see a reason to start, so my shirt hangs over the top.

No one seems to notice.

I have yet to OC as well. I'm just happy to be able to throw my untucked shirt over my pistol while carry in a Safariland paddle holster and not have to worry about printing. We recently went on a day trip with another couple and I was carrying as described. The couple we were with are both SDA holders and he carries a 38 on his ankle. I had a 1911 on my hip with my shirt over it. He asked me the next day if I was carrying. He said he never noticed. I can definately live with that.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same thing was said about CC'rs when Oklahoma first enacted the SDA many years ago. There were people then that would go around bragging about having an Oklahoma CWL and either telling anyone that would listen, or showing their weapon to friends any chance they got. Why did you choose to rag on OC'rs. The same sentence could read "The truth is ***** attracts some loons..." It matters not what the item or activity is, there will be loons. The real question is, do you lump all OC'rs with the loons, or lump all the loons with loons?

I don't think you "got" his post. You might try re-reading it.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you "got" his post. You might try re-reading it.

OK. I re-read his post, and the entire thread. I still stand by what I said. All was positive until he put OC'rs and loons together in the same sentence. And yes, I am a little sensitive when people that should be supporting the advancement of gun rights choose to spout the same rhetoric that the anti's spout. We cannot hope for full restoration of gun rights as long as there is open disagreement over some of the battles that have been won. There will always be disagreements about OC vs CC, but in the end we should both be fully supportive of each other. Human nature being what it is, an "Anti" that read the post from DFarcher would remember the sentence as - open carry attracts loons - and they will leave out the "some." Don't fight the Anti's battles for them.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do it fairly often... mostly to WalMart and such. I can't carry at work OC or CC, so mostly my permit means I can keep loaded weapons in my truck. And going over to Arkansas, I have to stop and take off my OC holster and either go CC or just drop the gun in the door pocket, which is more often what happens. Lot of our small-town cops say they still haven't seen or heard of anyone OCing, even though I do it a couple times a week, lol. So apparently people around here aren't too concerned about it.

Have gotten a few looks, couple guys at Best Buy in Tulsa made comments asking about my nice-looking 1911, and one kid came in a convenience store one night with his pop and yelled, "Cool gun!"

That's about it.

Oh, and one of our off-duty jailers I ran into at WM made a joke about me being a bad doctor because I was carrying a gun. lol

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont ...necesarilly.. Open carry, because I havent gotten out and got one of those fancy holsters with the snap on it.
I do carry a g30 in a CB with a t shirt most of the time.

.I went to k mart ( I dont go to wallyworld after 8) to get the necessary TP, and some dog snacks.
Walking back to the check out ,I did notice people were looking, saying howdy more than usual...?
After I checked out the nice lady behind the counter leaned over with that look that she wanted to say something. I leaned toward her ..she said..."your gun is hanging out"

.of course immediatly i reached for.....my zipper....she said ..No, the other one and kind of blushed.
Thank You I said ,,,,have a Nice day she replied.
The guy behind me was laughing hysterically.......Oh Well

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I O.C. when I'm driving to work because it makes it easier to take it off and lock it up when I get there; can't take it inside. There are times I have when I run to the corner store or something because I have some shorts that make it hard to CC. I have a velcro belt that I throw on over my shorts that I OC with in a hurry. I have OC'd to walmart a couple of times to see what reaction I would get and I never gotten one. A girl working at the corner store did ask me how to get her license and I explained the process to her. I think most people don't notice, or, they notice and think I'm a cop or something, or, they just don't care. I think I'm more uncomfortable with OC'ing than everyone else is. 99 percent of the time, I CC, but don't worry about printing anymore, that is a huge relief. I used to be so paranoid about that. One thing for sure, I don't leave my house without one a gun on me, ever! I don't even work in the yard without one. If you ever start feeling safe, listen to a police scanner for a few hours, and you'll be be back to arming yourself in no time, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom