My search fu fails me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am trying to remember the name of a SF soldier from the first Gulf War. His unit was ambushed, and he ended up walking several days to the Syrian border I believe. I think it was a British SAS unit. Someone help me out. Thanks

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh ha,

Bravo Two Zero

On the evening of 22nd January 1991, eight members of a patrol with the callsign, "Bravo Two Zero", were infiltrated by Chinook helicopter, into Iraq. Their task, was to observe the main supply route and to sever underground communications cables, which ran between Baghdad and Jordan. In addition, they were to seek and destroy any Scud missiles in the area. Each member of the patrol was overloaded with stores and equipment for the stay, and once landed, the patrol moved some 20km, to where they found a small cave, in which, they chose to hide.

The Patrol was led by Sergeant Andy McNab (an Alias) who soon realized, their radio was not working, this meant returning to the landing zone, and meeting a helicopter to obtain a new radio. The patrol soon found themselves in a difficult position, and decided to move, during which time, they made contact with the enemy. A vicious firefight ensued, and the patrol was forced to withdraw, heading for the Syrian border some 120km west. The journey was hard and dangerous, and the area was experiencing the worst weather in it's history.

Through hypothermia and injury, the patrol became separated, and as a result, three died, 4 were captured, and one, managed to escape. Those that were captured by the Iraqis, faced weeks of beatings, and horrendous torture. In the end, they were released with the other POW's and returned to the regiment.

The details of the trials and tribulations of this patrol, are available in the following books: Bravo Two Zero, by Andy McNab, and, The One That Got Away, told by the member of the patrol that reached the Syrian border, Chris Ryan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom