My wife got fired today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobfuente

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago i got laid off a week after i bought my first new car and i had quite a bit of credit card debt at the time.It taught me a valuable lesson.The next job i got, i stashed back $20,000.00 before i bought any type of a big ticket item & i learned to live below my means.
That's right. You can take a pretty good punch with 20k, and still get it up.

bobfuente

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. Money ain't everything, but you gotta make some decisions to downsize a lifestyle sometimes. Having vehicles paid off saves us a ton over what some of our friends have to pay out. Cheap home, too. No campers, boats, timeshares, lake houses or any of that stuff so many people finance for years so they can use a few weekends a year. Don't get me wrong, if you can afford it, and you work for it, more power to ya. But if I'd gotten my way and bought my wife a new (used) vehicle last year like I tried to convince her to do, we'd have had even more trouble. I gotta admit, she was right.

This year, I will probably make 1/4 to 1/3 of what I made 3 years ago.

I guess on the bright side, Uncle Sam and Auntie Nan won't get near as much out of me this year. :blush:

Spot on!
I don't know why this common sense is anethema to so many intelligent people.

Edit: I misspelled anethema, and so I felt compelled to go back and correct the misspelling. I just couldn't shake it - couldn't get it off my mind...

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, when I was young I had the wants and the wants were fueled by credit and monthly payments. Now that I'm older, the wants have subsided and I can pay cash for things I need. I still have the wants but I keep them under control most of the time.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have credit card debt that I am fixing to pay off. I have my mortgage, a car loan, a signature loan, and my student loans. The car loan I had to get because my wife totaled our paid off 2005 maxima when a deer ran into the front of the car on highway 9. I only got $4400 for it so it was either buy something cheap and hope it lasts or get a newer car with a service plan. I chose to buy a newer car. It’s a 2014 maxima. I don’t have any boats, rv’s, four wheelers or any other toys. Except for a Coleman mini bike. It was only $600. So it’s not like I try and live like a millionaire. But it is what it is. I will do whatever I have to to not lose my home. I don’t ever want to leave here. I love this place and it’s three blocks form my parents where I grew up. The thought of having to sale and move into town makes me want to puke. But I have faith in God. I went from being a drug addict loser that couldn’t keep a job and who ruined our credit to having a great job, owning my own home and having good credit.

On a different note. They sent my wife a severance pay offer today. It’s filled with lawyer talk. But it basically amount to three pay checks worth. And she can’t file a grievance or sue them if she signs it. Her employee handbook says that before you can be fired you have to be written up three times. She hasn’t been written up once. But it also says “at will” so I don’t understand that. It contradicts itself.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have credit card debt that I am fixing to pay off. I have my mortgage, a car loan, a signature loan, and my student loans. The car loan I had to get because my wife totaled our paid off 2005 maxima when a deer ran into the front of the car on highway 9. I only got $4400 for it so it was either buy something cheap and hope it lasts or get a newer car with a service plan. I chose to buy a newer car. It’s a 2014 maxima. I don’t have any boats, rv’s, four wheelers or any other toys. Except for a Coleman mini bike. It was only $600. So it’s not like I try and live like a millionaire. But it is what it is. I will do whatever I have to to not lose my home. I don’t ever want to leave here. I love this place and it’s three blocks form my parents where I grew up. The thought of having to sale and move into town makes me want to puke. But I have faith in God. I went from being a drug addict loser that couldn’t keep a job and who ruined our credit to having a great job, owning my own home and having good credit.

On a different note. They sent my wife a severance pay offer today. It’s filled with lawyer talk. But it basically amount to three pay checks worth. And she can’t file a grievance or sue them if she signs it. Her employee handbook says that before you can be fired you have to be written up three times. She hasn’t been written up once. But it also says “at will” so I don’t understand that. It contradicts itself.

Find a lawyer with experience in both employment & tribal law to read over it. Your situation may require taking the offer but make sure you understand your options.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Get a lawyer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His lawyer against their lawyers?
One good one that is versed in discrimination or other employment laws can certainly be an advantage. One just has to find the one that has experience in that field. Just picking a lawyer from the yellow pages doesn't work.
There are specialties just like heart doctors and so on.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One good one that is versed in discrimination or other employment laws can certainly be an advantage. One just has to find the one that has experience in that field. Just picking a lawyer from the yellow pages doesn't work.
There are specialties just like heart doctors and so on.
+ 100000000000000

Latest posts

Top Bottom