Narrowed down to three shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok first off im not a big fan of people getting on here and asking "which one should I get" because everyone has an opinion. so my main goal of this is maybe ill catch some extra point I havent thought of that will help me decide

Wanting a shotgun for mainly clay shooting, but maybe one day some bird hunting...MAYBE

I have shot the beretta al 391 urika 2 with parallel stock and loved it. The only thing keeping me from this is do I want to spend another 400-700+

2) 11-87

3) is the 1100 worth the extra?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
11-87.

If you're going to be clay shooting, I'll assume the gun will get shot alot. There's nothing wrong with the Beretta, but chokes/accessories/parts are a lot more (plus its more expensive up-front).

Remchoke is everywhere (and cheap)
You can shoot high-pressure magnum shot-shells through it (unlike the 1100) should you ever decide to hunt bigger birds.
You want to replace a stock? Go to Sports World, Bass Pro, Academy, Walmart, etc...

If you ever plan on duck-hunting, or for that matter, serious bird-hunting with it you'll really get into some abuse of the shotgun - that's when you want cheap replacement parts - and you don't want to have to get them from one store in all of Oklahoma, or be forced to mail-order or internet purchase them.

Just my opinion, but that's why I kept my eyes out for a good deal on a used 11-87 from this board and I'm very happy with it.

Gokc

New to the site!
Reaction score
yep....opinions are like elbows !

.. if auto... 11-87 if $ is ruling.

parts EVERYWHERE.... and 2 3/4" or 3" if memory serves me correctly. !

best shotgun deal... REM express 870 pump... $247 new at academy
absolutely INDESTRUCTABLE and always 100% reliable.....

had $1000. doubles/$600. autos...and all the rest...

have duck hunted for 45 years ..870 is the only 1 that ALWAYS goes BOOM !

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Remington 1000 and 11-87 are kissing cousins. I have a newer 11-87 and several older 1100's whichj I shoot regularly. They seem to last forever.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a couple of points

- cost of the chokes should never be a decieding factor in buying a shotgun.
But what does this matter if you can't hit anything with a gun.

- 1100, 1187, and beretta are all great guns
- 1100 - some guns aren't as versatile in shooting both heavy AND light target loads.
- Beretta
1. chrome lined barrel (most guns) which makes for better patterns
2. beretta has a "casting" system. This is a set of parts that lets you adjust the comb and 'cast on' or 'cast off'. They are bushings that fit inbetween the stock and the reciever.
3. 'cut off switch' - on the 390 and 391 and up but not the 3901, there is a switch on the left hand side of the receiver. When your gun is completely loaded, it allows you to remove the shell from the chamber and leave the shells in the magazine alone. When you are ready to go again, you simply put the shell back in the chamber, push the switch, and you are good to go. U can't do this on a remington. This is a great time saver when hunting.
- the beretta 391 has an adjustment to regulate the amount of gas used to cycle the gun, which helps on very light or very heavy loads. But on my 391 i have never moved this adjustment and have shot the lightest target loads I can made and 3" shells. The gun cycled both with no problems.

- 1100 and maybe 1187 - have an extra 'chunk' sound when they are cycling. If you get use to it, it does not bother you. Coming from an o/u back to a 1100 the extra sound bothers me.

- 1100 and 1187 parts and gunsmiths are in good supply.

I will leave you with this. Don't think you have to buy one gun and stick with it. I would plan to buy all three, one at a time depending on budget, and seeing the differences yourself. There are plenty to trade around town and on line. This is the only way you can truly know which works best for you.

I have shot a lot of shotguns, i have one that what ever i am doing, i hit better with it. I bring home more bird and hit more targets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom