Narrowed down to three shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've no experience with the SX3 but have heard good things about them. Like a lot of others, Iv'e hunted and shot most everything out there. The 870 is about the best out there for the money. They will eat most anything you feed them but so will a Mossy 500 and they're both inexpensive. Over & unders are great because you can tube each barrel with a different choke. I've finally settled in with a Benelli Montefeltro and will probably cling to it or another Benelli for the rest of my hunting life. The inertia system IMHO is the best there is. It has been totally reliable and is a pleasure to shoot whether it's clays, upland game, or any other game. Most of the time other than running a bore snake through it I clean it just to be cleaning it cause it never seems to get dirty unless you drop it in the mud or something. The chokes are just a little more than some chokes but less than other chokes, besides when you buy one you get about all the chokes you'll ever need. Whatever you get I'd make sure the barrel or barrels are tubed so it would be an all around gun for you.

Tele-Caster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice? Buy the one that fits the best. If that is a 391 Parallel, buy it. If it is a Remington, buy that. If it is something else, buy it.

Chokes are easy to get for all the major brands via the Intermess. Even "exotic" stuff like a full set of extended "Sporting Clays" tubes for a 20 bore Mossberg.... So I wouldn't let that sort of thing sway my decision.

I wouldn't let cost get in the way too much, either, particularly if you plan on shooting the gun a lot. If you shoot a lot, you'll find that your big expense isn't hardware, but in the lead you send downrange and things like range fees and hunting licenses and so on.

Seven hundred bucks for a 391 Parallel seems like a pile of money, but you only need to buy that gun once. Amortize the purchase price over a lifetime of ownership, and the price suddenly becomes less significant.

-JP

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned an 1100 for around 30 years now, shooting everything from dove loads to turkey loads. Its never failed to cycle on any load. The 11-87 will shoot the 3" loads while the 1100 is limited to the 2 3/4". I have 3" guns, but just don't ever shoot the 3" stuff.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
I have shot 1100's in competion trap for 30 years and have a standard and a three inch 1100 that is over forty years old that I hunt with. I have no idea how many trap loads the trap model has had through it but it was enough that I picked up a state trap championship and plenty of money and trophies over the years. A good 1100 is a versitile and long lasting piece with a little care. Get one and you will have it a long time.My 3 inch 1100 is one I still reach for when the geese and ducks are coming through and believe me it has brought many ducks and geese first with lead and now with steel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom