Natural way to kill poison ivy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The salt and vinegar solution may sterilize the soil around the plant, the dish soap is to keep the solution on the plant. Round Up is your best bet. This is one of the few occasion when fire is not an acceptable solution.
That last part bears repeating--if you burn poison ivy, it will vaporize the oil and get it everywhere the smoke goes, including inside your body. (Fortunately, I learned this from someone else's experience; I'm told that it's an absolute ***** of a lesson to learn the hard way.)

Bleach will work, but the Poison Ivy Killers from Ortho and RoundUp are both more effective, IMHO. The only catch is that you have to be careful with the RoundUp and Ortho products, as they can also kill trees--you can, per the label on at least one of the two, use the concentrate straight up to destroy stumps.

The best defense against poison ivy is to clean up good afterwards. My dad washes his arms with gasoline(!) if he's been working around poison ivy, but I'm not that tough, so I use this poison ivy scrub that I found at WalMart (ETA: Cortaid Poison Ivy Removal Scrub; see post 38). I don't recall who makes it, but it by God works; if I've been into the poison ivy (and, let's face it, that's one of those plants you only recognize when you're far enough into it for the brush hog to have thrown it all over the back of your neck), the clothes go into the washer and I go into a cold shower with the scrub. I haven't had a bout with poison ivy since I started that routine, and I keep finding that crap all over the place (one of the things I don't like living on a heavily-forested property).

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to walk through this crap on a few of my routes at work. Luckily I haven't gotten it yet this year. I heard their is some stuff you can drink and it is supposed to make you not get it. Don't know how well it works though.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That last part bears repeating--if you burn poison ivy, it will vaporize the oil and get it everywhere the smoke goes, including inside your body. (Fortunately, I learned this from someone else's experience; I'm told that it's an absolute ***** of a lesson to learn the hard way.)

Bleach will work, but the Poison Ivy Killers from Ortho and RoundUp are both more effective, IMHO. The only catch is that you have to be careful with the RoundUp and Ortho products, as they can also kill trees--you can, per the label on at least one of the two, use the concentrate straight up to destroy stumps.

The best defense against poison ivy is to clean up good afterwards. My dad washes his arms with gasoline(!) if he's been working around poison ivy, but I'm not that tough, so I use this poison ivy scrub that I found at WalMart. I don't recall who makes it, but it by God works; if I've been into the poison ivy (and, let's face it, that's one of those plants you only recognize when you're far enough into it for the brush hog to have thrown it all over the back of your neck), the clothes go into the washer and I go into a cold shower with the scrub. I haven't had a bout with poison ivy since I started that routine, and I keep finding that crap all over the place (one of the things I don't like living on a heavily-forested property).

You have a link to that stuff? Sounds awesome and I need some!!!

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have a link to that stuff? Sounds awesome and I need some!!!
If you mean the poison ivy scrub, it's Cortaid Poison Ivy Removal Scrub. I bought it at WalMart, so I can't vouch for this particular seller, but this is the stuff at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cortaid-Poiso...4931&sr=8-4&keywords=cortaid+poison+ivy+scrub
I see that they also have some wipes available; I might have to order some of those...

ETA: What I bought at WalMart was actually a two-part kit; it included the scrub and an anti-itch spray. The scrub has worked well enough that I've not used the spray, so I can't comment on it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing. If you do kill it with something, the stuff in it is still viable for up to 7 years. You need to get rid of the plant once it's dead. I'll also 2nd what others have said about burning it, don't do that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom