Need A Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im looking for a light to mount on my AR for home defense, I have a couple of requirements but for the most part Im in the dark, no pun intended lol . I want one that takes AA batteries, and would like to keep it under $60. I also like the strobe idea, Any suggestions?`

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surefire G2, a CREE LED upgrade lamp (from ebay, or other places like batteryjunction.com), and a Viking mount.

Its not the fanciest setup out there, but its shock-proof, solid, and made from all known good manufacturer's parts.

You can get a G2 for around $35-$40 online (or at OPS or someplace equivalent), the CREE upgrade is around $10-$20 and the Viking Mount is between $20-$25 online.

I've got that same setup and its beautiful in its simplicity.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious why you'd choose using AA batteries? Seems like CR123 lithiums would be a better choice.

I'd suggest a streamlight tlr-1 as a possible choice.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want AA cause that's what my eotech uses and I always have a crap load on hand...

If you want a good AA light for weapons purposes, check out the Fenix E11.

I just picked one up and let me tell ya...it's one helluva torch! I compare it to my Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax that I replaced recently with a Surefire LX2. Fenix calls it a keychain light, but at almost 4 inches in length and just over .75" in diameter, it's hardly key chain sized. :rolleyes2

Like the Surefire L4, the Fenix E11 dosen't throw a long ways (72 meters according to their website) but it does flood a room nicely and light it up like nobody's business with a "wall of LED light."

It has 105 lumens high and 32 lumens low. I bought the E11 because it was a tailcap button activation over a twist on/off like most single AA lights. With the tailcap button you can use it in the momentary on mode or it has a forward clicky for constant on.

Also, going from high to low is a snap - just a turn of the bezel. Tighten it down all the way and it'll be on high everytime you push the button. Loosen the bezel just a quarter turn and it'll always be on low. None of this cycling thru low and medium to get to high and none of that strobe or SOS ******** either. Just a simple tailcap push button, high and low beams.

Hell, Fenix even sells a seperate rail mount for it. :woohoo1:

http://fenixtactical.com/fenix-e11.html

Als, at around 25 bucks, you have nothing to lose. :thumb:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with using an AA-powered flashlight for self-defense is that it usually sits for long periods of time without being used (unless you're training with it regularly). Standard AA's are not known for their longevity and you don't want it to be dead when you need it most. Lithium-powered batteries are designed to last for a super-long period of time and not lose a charge.

If you are still planning on using an AA-powered flashlight, I would recommend going to WalMart (or wherever) and in the photo department (you usually have to ask for them since people were stealing them off of the shelf) get some lithium-powered AA batteries.

Another issue with AA-powered flashlights is that not too many of them come in 1" diameter (which is pretty standard for most weapon-mounts).

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with using an AA-powered flashlight for self-defense is that it usually sits for long periods of time without being used (unless you're training with it regularly). Standard AA's are not known for their longevity and you don't want it to be dead when you need it most. Lithium-powered batteries are designed to last for a super-long period of time and not lose a charge.

If you are still planning on using an AA-powered flashlight, I would recommend going to WalMart (or wherever) and in the photo department (you usually have to ask for them since people were stealing them off of the shelf) get some lithium-powered AA batteries.

Another issue with AA-powered flashlights is that not too many of them come in 1" diameter (which is pretty standard for most weapon-mounts).

Like I said earlier, Fenix sells a mount for the E11. I think it's made by CAA.

You also gotta be aware of AA lights leaking and completely ruining your light if alkaline batts are used. The Energizer Ultimate Lithiums are what I use in this E11.

I have a "gently used" 4Sevens Mini Quark AA coming in the mail right now. It'll serve as my pocket light. I plan on feeding it a steady diet of Energizer Ultimate Lithium batts as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom