Need a new EDC knife. (recommendations?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased a ZT 0560 and have really enjoyed it. It's a great field knife and very light for its size. My only problem is just that...the size. I am looking for a new knife with the same quality, a smaller blade, and must be a deep carry. I thought i could just downsize but can't find any ZT's that are smaller with a deep carry clip. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Thanks

The 0560 is a Rick Hinderer Design. KAI is making a ton of Hinderer-designed knives now due to ridiculous demand for Rick's knives/designs.

The Cryo is out now, but it is really small (like, tiny). Wait until you can find a Cryo 2 (they should be showing up at a few places online) if you want something slightly larger than the Cryo or just get a ZT 0566 if you want to stay with ZT (FYI, it's an SS frame-lock as opposed to the Ti Frame-lock on the 0560).

There's also the Kershaw Thermite (kind of in the middle size-wise - but it's longer/skinnier than Hinderer's designs typically are, so it's small in the pocket). If non-Hinderer models tickle your fancy, there's always the ZT 0770 and 0801.

No matter what, you'll have gouging-in-the-pocket from the Flipper, so if you want to go with a non-flipper Hinderer version, there's always the 0550 (it's heavy though - but man I love my 0551). You can get a Ti deep-pocket clip for the 055X series from a gentleman that lives in Bartlesville (STR Pocket Clips).

If weight isn't a concern, check out the Benchmade 300-1 (or just the standard 300) Ball Axis Flipper - it's fat and heavy, but smaller than the 0560. They also come with a Deep Pocket Clip. I'd hurry and buy today from Cutlery Shoppe as Benchmade's new Pricing enforcement is removing the 25% off coupon that so many sites are currently offering (I think Cutlery Shoppe is taking theirs off tonight).

Also, Spyderco is in the Flipper market now with their Domino and (larger, but again - skinnier and smaller in the pocket) Southard Flipper. STR makes deep carry clips for both of these (I believe).

All that being said, the most perfect EDC I've handled so far is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (and I own/have owned pretty much every folder listed in this thread so far).

Best of luck with your purchase.

duckhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 0560 is a Rick Hinderer Design. KAI is making a ton of Hinderer-designed knives now due to ridiculous demand for Rick's knives/designs.

The Cryo is out now, but it is really small (like, tiny). Wait until you can find a Cryo 2 (they should be showing up at a few places online) if you want something slightly larger than the Cryo or just get a ZT 0566 if you want to stay with ZT (FYI, it's an SS frame-lock as opposed to the Ti Frame-lock on the 0560).

There's also the Kershaw Thermite (kind of in the middle size-wise - but it's longer/skinnier than Hinderer's designs typically are, so it's small in the pocket). If non-Hinderer models tickle your fancy, there's always the ZT 0770 and 0801.

No matter what, you'll have gouging-in-the-pocket from the Flipper, so if you want to go with a non-flipper Hinderer version, there's always the 0550 (it's heavy though - but man I love my 0551). You can get a Ti deep-pocket clip for the 055X series from a gentleman that lives in Bartlesville (STR Pocket Clips).

If weight isn't a concern, check out the Benchmade 300-1 (or just the standard 300) Ball Axis Flipper - it's fat and heavy, but smaller than the 0560. They also come with a Deep Pocket Clip. I'd hurry and buy today from Cutlery Shoppe as Benchmade's new Pricing enforcement is removing the 25% off coupon that so many sites are currently offering (I think Cutlery Shoppe is taking theirs off tonight).

Also, Spyderco is in the Flipper market now with their Domino and (larger, but again - skinnier and smaller in the pocket) Southard Flipper. STR makes deep carry clips for both of these (I believe).

All that being said, the most perfect EDC I've handled so far is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 (and I own/have owned pretty much every folder listed in this thread so far).

Best of luck with your purchase.

Yes!! Thank you for the info. I may end up going with the Cryo for now.
Really great info. I hadn't seen that 0770. Looks nice!

Latest posts

Top Bottom