Need a truck! Comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.dieselpowernetwork.net/tech/2012-diesel-buyers-guide.html

According to the diesel power network, they are pretty close, in 3/4 ton configurations the Chevy and Ford seem to easily out tow the dodge (on paper), Chevy seems to barely edge out the Ford in conventional towing while the Ford is ahead by 1000 lbs when towing a 5th wheeler. Like I said that is on paper, but if the Chevy really has independant front suspension, then I would go straight to the Ford since otherwise they seem pretty darn comparable...

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went hunting in Colorado a few years ago with a friend that had a 6.0 Chevy, he always fell behind on the steep mountains at altitude compared to my 2005 Dodge Ram QC,5.9 Cummins, 4x4 6spd. Now I'm running a Smarty Jr., Aeroturbine muffler, CFM intake and Ceramic clutch. The G-56 manual tranny is strong, just needs a better clutch. I still get over 20mpg highway and can tune anywhere from 365-425 hp.....runs great on a mild tune.

Not the best ride; but I do prefer the solid axle front end for durability.

I had a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71, it had numerous problems that had to be fixed. The 5.3 is not good for towing. It is a rev happy engine; but lacks low end torque. The front end of the truck is too squishy for any real off-roading. The truck did drive nicely as a daily driver though.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be wrong but I think so long as its not cab and chassis, the 2012 Dodges don't make you fool around with that diesel exhaust fluid crap. Think that's coming for the 2013 models. Stupid EPA is ruining these trucks.

There is nothing wrong with the Q of the newer Dodges. Many people just have an inherent bias against dodge compared to Ford or Chevy. By far the best farm truck we have is an 03' 3500 with the 5.9 cummins.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are a weekend warrior chevy should be ok but most who need it for work all the time usually get fords. Dodge is junk now.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since you've not mentioned weight yet, especially with a Harley on-board, I'll go so far as to recommend something like mine. We tow a luxury fifth wheel (38 1/2-feet long) with a GVWR of 18,500 lbs with our 2008 Ford F450. It has the 6.4L engine, and I've not really been seeing much of a problem with it. Since it is a 2008, it has the 4:88 rear differential ratio and can pull that trailer just about anywhere I want to take it.

While we've not towed ours for all that many miles, when I do tow that 18,500 lbs, the F450 seems to act like there is nothing behind it. If you look around, used F450's can be still had, even as old as the 2008 models. Back in 2010 (I think), Ford cut the F450's down a bit to get better mileage. They have gone away from the 19.5 inch wheels down to 17 inch wheels and have lowered the truck's GVWR from 14,500 lbs to 13,300 lbs. Other than that, the F450's are still rated with a GCVW of 33,000 lbs for both the truck and trailer.

Back when I was researching for our truck, neither Dodge nor GM could match the towing capacity of the F450, even with their 4500 series trucks. I should mention that we don't tow our fifth wheel all that much because we live in ours full-time and are still working and not quite ready to retire.

Our "baby:"

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Our_20New_20Home_DSC_6461.jpg

If you aren't quite that heavy, even with 42' and a Harley, any of the 350/3500 series trucks should work OK. While I have a pdf file for a comparison of Dodge, Ford, and GM 2011 trucks, it is just over 1.2 meg in size, so it can't be attached to the forum. If you will send me a private message with your e-mail address in it, I'll e-mail you that document. Again, it is for 2011 and compares the F350/3500 GM and Dodge series trucks.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pulled with an Duramax and an Allison once and never again. Not a fan of the Allison. I'll stick with my 282,000 original torqshift in my 6.0l. That said, I wouldn't wish a used 6.0l powerstroke on anyone. DEF fluid is not a reason to not buy either, only needs refilling every few thousand miles.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since you've not mentioned weight yet, especially with a Harley on-board, I'll go so far as to recommend something like mine. We tow a luxury fifth wheel (38 1/2-feet long) with a GVWR of 18,500 lbs with our 2008 Ford F450. It has the 6.4L engine, and I've not really been seeing much of a problem with it. Since it is a 2008, it has the 4:88 rear differential ratio and can pull that trailer just about anywhere I want to take it.

Terry is right, if you are talking pure GVWR capacity, the Ford is the highest (13,300), then the Ram (aka Dodge, 13,000) and Chevrolet (also 13,000). These are 1 ton ratings.

That's a damn nice set up sir, by the way.

The disparities were larger, but the others caught up the last couple years. The Chevrolet is independent front suspension, rather than a solid live axle, which may be a good thing if you are towing in 2wd on pavement. I do believe the Dodge is urea-free for now still. The Ford has arguably the nicest interior if you go with a King Ranch trim (but I HATE the newer ford rear fenders on the bed, personally).

I'm generally a Ford guy but noted they had a lot of problems with the the 6.0 when it went live nearly a decade ado. It seems the newest engines are better than the International they were working with back then. The Cummins is still considered a very proven design, though there are many that won't touch any of them with more than 12 valves. I'm generally very anti-Chevrolet, but I gotta admit, some of those power-tuned izusus I have seen online are damn tempting, and the older LB7s with a tune and the right gears and 2wd can hit mid 20s MPG on the highway.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny that people are dogging out the 6.0. After the early problems with the '04 and '05 6.0's, Ford addresses the problems and the '06 and '07's had the least problems of any engine in Ford's lineup. They were perfectly fine.

As for new trucks, my preference would be the 6.7 Ford diesel closely followed by a Chevy Duramax. The Dodge's have gone backward with their new engines and the trucks themselves are behind Ford and Chevy too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom