Need advice from some Ford Pick-up "experts"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading from my 2003 150 Super Crew toa newer one. I have foud 2, 2018's that are practically identical in millage (one has 3K less miles) and same asking price. Difference is one has a V-6 the other a V-8. Please tell me which would be the "better" deal and why.

I should ad that both are 4WD, as is my 03, and this is more of a vanity upgrade as my '03 runs fine and I drive less than 50 miles per week.

Thanks

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on which V6 it has. If it’s an EcoBoost (either 2.7L or 3.5L), that’s a whole different animal from the base naturally aspirated 3.3L V6. (I’m assuming it’s a gasser, not the PowerStroke diesel V6.)

The 2.7EB will be a minor step down from the 5.0 V8, and the 3.5EB will be a minor step up. The 3.3 is fine if you just need a daily driver, but it’s a big step down from the Coyote, power-wise. All other things being equal, the 3.3 should cost significantly less than the V8.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on which V6 it has. If it’s an EcoBoost (either 2.7L or 3.5L), that’s a whole different animal from the base naturally aspirated 3.3L V6. (I’m assuming it’s a gasser, not the PowerStroke diesel V6.)

The 2.7EB will be a minor step down from the 5.0 V8, and the 3.5EB will be a minor step up. The 3.3 is fine if you just need a daily driver, but it’s a big step down from the Coyote, power-wise. All other things being equal, the 3.3 should cost significantly less than the V8.
It's a 3.5 V6, the V8 is 5.0

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a 3.5 V6, the V8 is 5.0
The 3.5, assuming it’s properly marked in the listing and shouldn’t be a 3.3, would be a bit of an upgrade over the 5.0, power-wise. The 3.5 was built to produce power more equivalent to the 6.2; the Coyote has been upgraded over the years, but, IIRC, the 3.5 was still a good bit ahead of it then, so the V6 is probably going to be the better deal.

You can’t really go wrong with either of them, but it’s hard to say which is better without knowing the whole package—f’rinstance, if the V6 is an XL and the V8 is an FX4, the V8 is probably the better deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom