Need advice from some Ford Pick-up "experts"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they even offer the 7.3 gasser Godzilla engine in the 150’s?
Coupled with the 10 speed tranny, 4:30 gearing in our F-250 it’s a beast for towing. Basic push rod engine.
I hear Ford is looking at dropping that into some Mustangs.
With 430 Hp, that would be a street racer.
The 5.0 is making 460 in the mustang and weighs less.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a 3.5 V6, the V8 is 5.0
I have a 2014 F150 FX4 Supercrew with the 5.0. The engine is great. I have tons of power and it will pull everything I need it too. The gas mileage sucks though. But the 5.0 has been a staple for Ford for a long time. I don’t know why they stopped using it for a while. I wouldn’t want the Exoboost engine. I’m no a bit fan it turbocharged engines. They can have a lot of issues.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they even offer the 7.3 gasser Godzilla engine in the 150’s?
Coupled with the 10 speed tranny, 4:30 gearing in our F-250 it’s a beast for towing. Basic push rod engine.
I hear Ford is looking at dropping that into some Mustangs.
With 430 Hp, that would be a street racer.
I think the biggest you could get in the 150’s was the 6.2 but I don’t think that is offered on anything other than the Raptor. And even that might have changed. My brother in law has a 2019 F250 with the 7.3. He pulls his 5th wheel RV all over the place. That truck is a beast for sure.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both PU's are Lariat pkg. about the only diffenence in listed equipment is the 3.5 has remote start. They are both priced at 35K, is that a reasonable asking price?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't know about the newer trucks, but on my '13, enabling remote start was a matter of changing a setting in the PCM using FORScan (free software) and buying the $250 remote start kit (which consisted of two OEM keys and an antenna). So, remote start is nice, but it's not a high-dollar option.

As to being a reasonable price, I dunno--used vehicle prices are nuts these days, but that doesn't sound terribly out of line. A few weeks ago, I looked up my dad's '20 XLT SuperCrew that just rolled over 5,000mi, and it came back at ~$40K.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't know about the newer trucks, but on my '13, enabling remote start was a matter of changing a setting in the PCM using FORScan (free software) and buying the $250 remote start kit (which consisted of two OEM keys and an antenna). So, remote start is nice, but it's not a high-dollar option.

As to being a reasonable price, I dunno--used vehicle prices are nuts these days, but that doesn't sound terribly out of line. A few weeks ago, I looked up my dad's '20 XLT SuperCrew that just rolled over 5,000mi, and it came back at ~$40K.
New Super Duties have Ford Sync for built in remote start and door locking as well as vehicle health and tire pressure.
Probably had those features in the past. My first ford after Toyota ownership since 95 so I’m not familiar with past features.
I know when in Butte Montana this summer, the dealership can access a whole lot more than I can with no contact of the vehicle. VIN number and they are in.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a ford expert, however my '17 xlt with v8 runs great and gets 19 mpg daily driving and will get 22 if I drive it right.

A friend who buys a lot of ford trucks for his business told me that he stopped buying the EcoBoost because his consistently had problems at around 100k.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the biggest you could get in the 150’s was the 6.2 but I don’t think that is offered on anything other than the Raptor. And even that might have changed. My brother in law has a 2019 F250 with the 7.3. He pulls his 5th wheel RV all over the place. That truck is a beast for sure.
The current Raptor comes with a "high output" version of the twin turbo 3.5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom