Need advice on an all around shotgun..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You may want to check out the stoger made by banelli it will shoot 2-3/4 and 3" shells. I have shot every type of upland bird water fowl turkey you name it this gun will kill it for around $400

+1 on this.I'ma huge remington fan.Carried 1100's and 1187's for years and have taken many birds with them.I eventually got a benelli M2,but a couple of friends bought the Stoegers.They are REALLY nice guns for the 400 bucks and made by benelli.

Schuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot several types of guns (O/U, Semi-auto, & Pumps). What I can tell you is that your follow up shots are going to be faster with a semi-auto because is will absorb some of the recoil. If you turkey or duck hunt then the semi-auto will definitely help to manage the recoil of those harder hitting turkey or duck rounds. I personnally shoot a Remington 1100 that I bought 6 years ago for $275 and it came with a slug barrel. I am just saying if you can wait keeping checking around and find you a good semi-auto. As far as barrel length go with a good all around barrel length of 26". I will help you to be more accurate on those little longer shots as well as let you still turn on those fast moving shots. Chokes go as this, if you can get a gun that you can change the chokes then that would be best. If not, then try to look for a modified choke for the all around shooting. Last if you stay with a good brand name, then you can afford to get an older gun, because you can replace the parts alot easier than one that is not.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The semiautomatic will kick a bit less because usually they are heavier and also a little bit of the gas is used to cycle it. Of the choices you mentioned, I would pick the Remington 870. However, nothing wrong with a Remington 1100 or 1187 either.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
870, 3" chamber 26 ir 28 inch barrel with screw in chokes, preferably synthetic stock. Hogue aftermarket stocks and forends are nice.

Proven, and can be fixed (unlikely to need it) by the dumbest gunsmith. Cycles all ammo without prejudice. Some autos don't.

Can be shot accurately as fast as some autos, and much less likely to malfunction.

For home defense, leave chamber empty, safety off, hammer down. First thing to do is to work slide. I don't think the sound will cause any bad guy heart attacks, but having heard one in the dark I can assure you it is an attention getter:yikes2:. CB

Brian D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mossberg 835.I have taken everything from deer(6) to rabbits with mine.Then if you go for turkey or waterfowl,you have the option of the 3 1/2 incher.But this gun does kick, but dont they all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rem 1100. Most can be bought used for $400 and they will allow you to use it for game or self defense. I prefer the auto loader, as it will allow one to shoot one handed if one arm or the other is incapacitated, and stay in the fight. Gas operated weapons are the ones I'm talking about. I'd not use a recoil operated, as one handed and not shouldered, the action may not work reliably.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't be afraid of the SPR. It is a fine gun. I have killed more ducks and pheasant with mine then most people will see in their lifetime and it just runs.

The nova is a good choice too. The 1100 and 1187's are too heavy IMHO.

M

Big Jim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get my hands on as many as possible, choose the one that fits you best . If you close your eyes and shoulder the weapon your eyes and sights should be aligned when you open them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom