Need advice/pointers on going sober

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit back in my 20's. Told all my buddies I had given it up for New Years. It only took about 2 or 3 get togethers and they were "pop/soda is in the fridge" and were 100% behind me quitting. I also learned that Designated Drivers usually get free ice-tea/pop when at a bar.

I went the entire year+ without beer. "No beer for a year" was the slogan. I also included all types of alcohol, but the slogan helped.

Tell all your friend and family, get them to be your support group!

You can do it!!

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Widowmaker heart attack made me curb my drinking habits.....I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone else though. My point is drinking yourself into oblivion every night for years and years isn't good on your body. My longtime friends understand. Your real friends will too.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cut back drastically a while back, I found it’s cold turkey or nothing.I suggest starting things off by talking to your doctor. Just like starting drinking, theres risks with getting off of it too. There’s gonna be withdrawal symptoms, to include feeling really depressed the first week or three. I found I craved sugar like crazy too. getting medical/mental health and having something sweet is important. Things can be worse than that, and withdrawals are nothing to laugh at.

If you have super crazy withdrawals you can get medication to help block the hormones/whatever causing all your trouble. Your doctor can get you some.

I’ve had more than one person say that if you’re open to using some, marijuana can help with the withdrawals too. Gives you something you can use to relax and unwind at the end of the day that isn’t alcohol or even remotely close to making a drink.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.”

I’m not an alcoholic but… then you list the reasons you are an alcoholic.

Good luck with your journey, may it be successful.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sobriety is one of the few things I take seriously. Without it, I have nothing.

My advice is to take the quiz:
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/am-i-an-alcoholic-quiz
See how comfortable you are with the answers. If you think you might be, find an AA group with a bunch of old, ugly folks there that show up to stay sober, not socialize.

The program works, only through honesty.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you're an alcoholic. Join AA. At the least.

Good luck.

“I’m not an alcoholic by definition but I just can’t handle it anymore. I might have a beer here and there but when we get in social settings, I just can’t handle moderating myself. Once I let the train start rollin, I just let it keep on rolling.”

I’m not an alcoholic but… then you list the reasons you are an alcoholic.

Good luck with your journey, may it be successful.

Sobriety is one of the few things I take seriously. Without it, I have nothing.

My advice is to take the quiz:
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/am-i-an-alcoholic-quiz
See how comfortable you are with the answers. If you think you might be, find an AA group with a bunch of old, ugly folks there that show up to stay sober, not socialize.

The program works, only through honesty.
Thank you for being blunt gentlemen. I reached out to get some information.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have any day to day cravings, sugar (as someone mentioned) can help a lot. I never had a problem quitting, but if your body has had a good bit in your system for a while, it physically doesn't like the change.

Keeping a glass of really sweet tea at hand during my waking hours solved that problem for me. Also, if you always have a glass of tea sitting there, you're (probably?) less likely to fix a glass of vodka & coke (lol, or whatever).

You can do this. Prayers & best wishes. :)

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The advice here restores a little of my estimation of humanity. Good on all those who took the time. If you’ve been up close to addiction of any kind you understand the gravity for anyone it touches. Not least yourself. Good luck breaking fewer hearts. Its a worthy endeavor!

Latest posts

Top Bottom