Need help/advice - .308 win cases sticking when depriming/sizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using Hornady spray for years, thousands of rounds - on everything from 223 to 7mm mag. The only stuck case I had when a die split forming a wildcat.

You have to shake it well (mix the lubricant and methanol). You have to let it dry (let the methanol evaporate).

You should be able to tell something is "off" on the up stroke (case going into the die) - don't ever force it. Either there is no lube on the case or there is something up with die.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tumble cleaned the cases and then used Hornady spray lube on the cases standing them upright in the loading block. I make one pass at about 45 degree angle about 6" from cases and turn the block 180 degrees and spray again to make sure I get lube on each side of the case.

This is the problem. Most stuck cases when full length sizing are due to no/not enough lube on the bottom of the case near the head. When you spray them in the loading block, guess what doesn't get coated...

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the problem. Most stuck cases when full length sizing are due to no/not enough lube on the bottom of the case near the head. When you spray them in the loading block, guess what doesn't get coated...

Makes sense to me. So should I do like I have in making the two passes with necks facing up to get a bit of lube on top/neck end of case. Let them dry and turn them over with primer end of case now standing up and do it again(i.e two passes at approximately 45 degrees)??

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes sense to me. So should I do like I have in making the two passes with necks facing up to get a bit of lube on top/neck end of case. Let them dry and turn them over with primer end of case now standing up and do it again(i.e two passes at approximately 45 degrees)??

That might work and from what some people say, the Hornday one shot is actually needs two shots anyway lol. I've never used it so I can't say in that regard. I'd either do one shot in each position or just lay out some paper towels and spray them that way. Some people report good success spraying them twice and then giving them a quick toss in a big ziplock to spread it around kinda like chicken wings. I'd also do like MoBoost says and ensure your can is shaken up good too.

I've not ever used a spray lube very much just because I was always taught not to apply lube directly to the shoulder area of the case. I don't know how many people (if any) experience shoulder dents with spray lube, but it's something to watch for also. The idea is that the compression from the lube if too liberal will cause a dent in the shoulder.

Let us know how that works.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the home made knockoff of the Dillon spray lube for 223 and some others, but when the cases get big, I go to the Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I have never stuck a case with the imperial. Blitzfike

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thought is if the die set was setting without use for several years, there may be some rust or corrosion on the inside of the dies. That will cause cases to stick continuously. Examine the inside with a strong light and if they are not brightly polished, that may be a lot of your problem. You don't want to use any abrasive or steel wool on the inside of the dies, a felt swab with some polishing media such as tin oxide or jewelers rouge and some elbow grease will restore the dies. I have recovered several sets that way. I chuck it in the lathe and slowly polish until bright. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom